The Purpose of this Forum

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
THE PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM

You are going to California to pick up a machine, and bring it to your house in Connecticut. You have room on your truck or flatbed trailer to pick up something for someone else.
flatbed.jpg
Someone needs something picked up along the way, you agree to pick it up for them in California and drop it off at their place in Massachusetts. Some people call that a "ruckerer."
This is the forum to make that hookup. Post what you are picking up and where, or what you need picked up and where.

44111d1329076814-lifting-lathe-chuck-lifting1.jpg

Also, someone needs a machine hauled either in or out of their shop. You know how to do the rigging. This is the place to make the connection.

Great idea, been there before. I have 7 milling machines and 3 lathes. Each presented it's own set of problems...
hink233

A Ruckerers Forum, intersting name. I do a slightly related question...small cranes

Hello, I saw this forum and figured these folks may have some good info. I'm an old marine engine operator and repair type, had to retire from it when I busted up one side of me. But now I tinker at home and have lots of lift and fetch and move challanges from 20 lbs at a lift and reach of 10 feet to a couple a ton to raise a few inches. Problems nearly always the same without both arms and ankles in good shape-I cant do it safely or at all oft times. I have been hunting about for a small knuckle or articulated crane like the Air Technical Industries KK-2000 that I could plant upon a subframe and mount to the bottom of a tractor the same way a subframe mounted backhoe would be used. I have not found an example of it yet perhaps because most folks have enough floor space and money to drop down a bigger better faster stronger shop crane. Thats not what I need, have a couple of those. I need to do all the stuff I did before I got busted up and when my kids were home to "supervise" as my wife termed it. An example is I recently grabbed hold of a box blade and drug it home. Used the backhoe and a chain pendant to get it out of the truck. But latter I needed to move it up onto a steel table inside the shop door. And turn it up on its side occasionally. The load was about 190 lbs at a reach of 4 feet from the door and 3 ft from the floor to an elevation of 6 feet and back down. A backhoe accomplished it but its as sublte as using primer chord to open a stuck wooden door. And its a pain to go back and forht to the controls for tweeking the spot.

Have any of you met anyone with a tractor mounted SMALL crane, with soft controls perhaps on a remote pendant? That wouldnt cost over 15 K out of the crate? Or was shop built from existing stuff? I'm searching ideas and sources more than absolute fixes this minute, I intend to build a subframe perhaps next summer (cold outside now), use the hydraulics on my tractor to power a crane rated to 2K, configure controls for fast and slow rates, place a seat behind or beside the bottom stick like a back hoe for comfort when handling large or several objects. A remote pendant wired to the controls would be nice but there is a budget, landing gear from an old backhoe perhaps, and a rotator & grapple attachment for garden and yard chores like stacking fire wood sticks. Ideas? Thanks

A different workaround might be a reinforced bucket with a stinger attachment on the front of your tractor. Or perhaps in place of the bucket. It could tie into the lift arms all the way back to the pivot point. Maybe even articulating at the end of the arms where the bucket would attach. Do you have a bucket up front?

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh, it just dawned on me I know a guy selling a rear mounted fork lift for a tractor also. Only goes up, not out, but a thought. You would want you load close to the machine for strength when possible anyway. Also when you win the lottery you can buy a nice hiab to go on anything.:))

I did a search on eBay for "truck mounted crane" and got a nice range of lifts from 500 lbs to over 2 ton. Budgets ranging from a couple hundred to 7000.00. If nothing else maybe that gets some ideas started.

Rich

After moving many machines, and moving all of my own a number of times into and out of different situations, I have gotten pretty good at it! I just spent the week moving most of must machines, and an awkward bench (still covered with work and filled with tools) around the shop by myself.

Great idea for a forum!

Bernie

Back