The Pm-1440gt Has Landed

Looks like a component of a very high voltage switch...
Like this from Princeton Plasma Physics Lab:

31302327323_13ac127949_b.jpg

R

Last edited:
Thanks tmarks11. It's a hand wheel for a collet closer I made for the schools PM-1127 lathe. It is 8" in diameter, 0.675" radius on the hand grip.

HW20.png

Hand wheel for the carriage, hmmm.......

Darn, wrong again....
Really beautiful piece. You did that with the radius turner? Thats a lot of material to remove!
Robert

Darn, wrong again....
Really beautiful piece. You did that with the radius turner? Thats a lot of material to remove!
Robert

Yikes! The high voltage stuff looks spooky to me.

The part was actually pretty easy to make. I did most of the roughing with a 1-1/4" boring bar. I love this lathe!

The turning tool worked wonderfully. A lot better that I had expected. I was expecting a lot of chatter because of the height and stick-out of the cutting tool but it cut real smooth.

The building of the radius tool and turning of the part are in this thread.

Reactions: rwm
On the subject of DRO installation in crazy small places:
I installed a magnetic "Electronica" scale on my Hardinge TL cross slide, where I REALLY had to shrink things down. I removed the scale from the Aluminum housing, and bonded it right to the slide with loctite black max, with screws on both ends (the stock blue thingies on the ends). Just FYI, you really need to add a top cover when you do this; there is an exposed gap that collects crud and interferes with the magnetic reading.
upload_2017-4-30_11-8-32.jpeg

At one point I decided my old lathe compound really needed a digital read out, so I made one. I peeled the capacitive reference PCB off of the aluminum backing, faced the side of the compound, and bonded that sucker on. I re-built the read head (with some trimming of the board) and screwed that onto the base. Worked great, and it was a lot of fun to make!
upload_2017-4-30_11-12-55.jpeg

upload_2017-4-30_11-10-58.jpeg

This forum is a treasure trove of information, you all are great at sharing details I couldn’t find elsewhere. I was about to buy a PM-1340GT, but after spending time here I think I’m going with the PM-1440GT.

What model motor did you install, and where did you get the pulley? Sorry if I missed this somewhere in this thread.

The motor is a Marathon E470. This is the only 3 HP motor I could find short enough to fit in the same space as the factory 2hp. The factory 3ph 3hp uses the same frame size as the 2hp. Not sure how they do that or if it is one of those Asian mystery specs. I had to modify the cover to fit the Marathon motor since the diameter is larger. It is a beast of a motor for this lathe. I will break things before it boggs.

Motor https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-motors/severe-duty-motors/2270029_e470_marathon-electric/
Sheave - Gates 2AK27, https://www.amazon.com/Gates-2AK27-...pID=41BeBJAL2zL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Belts - Gates AX29 Tri-Power Belt, https://www.amazon.com/Gates-Tri-Power-Section-Outside-Circumference/dp/B00CJJD232

The motor is a Marathon E470. This is the only 3 HP motor I could find short enough to fit in the same space as the factory 2hp. The factory 3ph 3hp uses the same frame size as the 2hp. Not sure how they do that or if it is one of those Asian mystery specs. I had to modify the cover to fit the Marathon motor since the diameter is larger. It is a beast of a motor for this lathe. I will break things before it boggs.

Thank you Jay! I’m ordering these items this week. I’ve used Delta VFDs before, but I’m going with the Hitachi that you used.

Thank you Jay! I’m ordering these items this week. I’ve used Delta VFDs before, but I’m going with the Hitachi that you used.

One of the great things about the Hitachi is the amount of support there is on this forum.

FYI when using the E470 motor you will also need to make a new motor mount along with modifying the gear cover.

Back