The Pm-1440gt Has Landed

Would you mind posting or sending a wiring diagram? I'm really curious how all the relays/contacts are wired. Still trying to understand the difference between the two.

Hi Jay,
Very nice and professional install, glad you like the control system design. You can see you put a lot of thought and planning into modifying this lathe to fit your needs. Well done!
Mark

Hi Mark,

This is all you fault you know. If you hadn't come up with all the cool features I would have blissfully went on with my single phase motor. :grin:

As for planning I had a lot of time to think about it during the long wait. I was able to get some dimensions off an Eisen lathe I thought would be close in size. It was a bit of a gamble. Working with the young engineers in the high school robotics team I have become a believer is building most things in CAD before ever cutting stock. This was no exception.

Control Enclosure CAD.png
PM-1440GT CAD.png

Thanks again for all your help!

Jay

Would you mind posting or sending a wiring diagram? I'm really curious how all the relays/contacts are wired. Still trying to understand the difference between the two.

Hi Sendit,

Attached is the schematic that mksj did for me.

Attachments

• Jay VFD Schematic with external 24VDC PS Jog rev date 3-17-2016.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 552
Thats a nice control system and clean install. Excellent write up, thank you for sharing.

Wow - Nice Lathe & sharp looking cabinet, Your Craftsmanship Is Outstanding.. - What brand name of controllers did you use in the new cabinet?

Wow - Nice Lathe & sharp looking cabinet, Your Craftsmanship Is Outstanding.. - What brand name of controllers did you use in the new cabinet?

Thanks co1859!

Most everything including the cabinet came from Automation Direct. The 24vdc power supply and braking resistor were from ebay.

I made good progress on the belt cover modifications today.

The mods were to extend the side to cover the belts due to the larger motor and to enlarge the area at the spindle for an outboard spider. To keep the spindle length to the spider screws as short as possible I deepend the recess around the spindle and enlarged it for clearance of the centering screws.

I used my CNC router to cut the cover and the new recessed plate. The router is not really meant to cut steel but it will do it will lots of light cuts. I used a 1/8" carbide end mill at 9200 rpm and 4 fpm. To zero the X & Y on the original spindle hole I drew a centering target in CAD and printed it on paper and then taped it over the hole. This gets me (+-) 0.01" which is good enough. I use the tip of a carbide scribe in a collet in the spindle for centering on the target.

Belt Cover01.png
Belt Cover02.png
Belt Cover03.png
Belt Cover04.png

The new sheet metal pieces are 12 ga. steel. Here are the belt cover extension pieces ready for welding.

Belt Cover05.png

Here is the cover with the new modes welded on. The recess around the spindle is 1/2" deeper than original.

Belt Cover06.png
Belt Cover07.png

By doing the mods I was also able to correct the crooked installation of the cover. Now it sits flush with the top and front of the head. Next up is prep and paint.

Back