The Pm-1440gt Has Landed

I change between chucks a lot and it gets interesting supporting the 8" chucks with one arm while engaging a cam lock with the other.:eek: This is much easier. As a bonus the upper cross tubes make excellent carrying handles. :D
get a couple of 2x6 boards and make chuck holder to slide chuck up to spindle nose, it will save arms from having to manhandle chuck, and it can save rails from dropped chucks

I have about 20 hours on the lathe now and find it is too low for my height at 6"1". Yesterday I made up some risers out of some 1/2" X 2" bar stock and 2' X 1/4" angle iron. I wasn't sure how flat the bottom of each stand base is so I did not weld the cross piece in to allow for any twist. The cross pieces are clamped in place with a full length piece of 1/2-13 all thread. The risers bolt to the bases through the existing threaded holes for the feet. I added two more feet to the tail-stock end. Probably did not need to but what the heck. The risers are 6" tall which is perfect for me. Next will be figuring out how to lower the foot brake. As it is now it's a little high but still usable. The dark grey Rustoleum is a pretty close match.

Stand Riser01.png
Stand Riser02.png
Stand Riser03.png

Nice Work on the risers. Dropping that foot brake looks tricky.

Thanks MonkMan. Having the machine at a comfortable height makes a huge difference.

I don't think it will be too much trouble to lower the foot brake. The foot pedal is welded to a tube which fits over a stub shaft that actuates the brake. I should be able to support the pedal assembly with bearing blocks at each end and weld a blade to the back of the tube. Make a arm to fit on the actuator shaft and connect to the pedal with a tie rod.

Looks like you have it pretty much figured out, great! Please post pictures when you get it installed. Thanks

I got the foot brake lowered today. Two steel stub shafts bolted to 1/4" x 3" strap bolted to the stand support the pedal assembly and act as bearings. I turned a steel sleeve to fit over the actuator shaft which uses the same bolt that held the pedal. A blade is welded to the sleeve and to the back of the pedal and connected with a tie rod. The tie rod is made from 1/2" steel hex. Most of the hex was turned off except for a 1/2" wide section for use with a wrench. The ends were drilled and tapped with 5/16-24 right and left thread for rod ends for adjustment. I set the pedal about an 1-1/2" lower than from the factory to make it more comfortable to use.

FootBrake04.png
FootBrake02.png
FootBrake03.png

Curious question about brake pedals on lathes....

Can one use the brake pedal softly to modulate a slowing down of the spindle...
Or is it either no brake or quick full stop?

THX

Thanks for the pictures. Nice job, looks factory built.....something PM should offer.

Curious question about brake pedals on lathes....

Can one use the brake pedal softly to modulate a slowing down of the spindle...
Or is it either no brake or quick full stop?

THX

On most of the smaller lathes, the brake pedal is connected to a mechanical band brake. So yes, you can control the braking force.

Back