The New South Bend 10K

Plus one!
Well, if I should ever get this thing going, I will post my thoughts with some pics. But so far many things needed to at least get started were missing. Lathe with stand, but no leveling feet. Feet arrived after several days. But no switch. So spent almost $100.00 and ordered the switch and mounting plate. several days later, switch arrives. But missing the cable retainers despite being shown in the diagram. So ordered the retainers from a different place. Now I wait again. Ordered and received a D1-3 back plate and 6" 4 jaw chuck. ( N0thing special, Shars ) arrived in a few days with a 3/8" chuck key. Then realized unable to mount the back plate for sizing to chuck as well. No 5/16" chuck key from Grizzly was included for the D1-3 spindle and no proper steel around to make one. So now I wait for another chuck key to arrive. So far a lesson in frustration.

sounds like a real money making proposition for Grizzly. You'll double your cost getting the lathe to where you can do work with it.

I have an older 10k I am quite happy with it the only thing I wished I had was a bigger through hole in the spindle

Yeah. A heavy 10 would have been nice. But the budget said otherwise and I was thinking I was getting a great deal.
Well George, I am sure this one will be fine for my purposes. Once I get it up to snuf. I had an older 10K but the ways were pretty rough shape. 1.5" x 8 spindle, etc. I am just not up to par on my knowledge of metal lathes and wasn't expecting this. I haven't spent hardly anytime on a metal lathe since High School. So a very very long time ago. One of my main priorities was not to buy one with a built in electronics card. Those little circuit boards are rather expensive to replace. One I priced was $500.00, and another was almost $1,000.00. Crazy expensive. Better to put on a VFD with a 3 phase. To busy with saws, these days, to spend a lot of time on other "projects". That's one of the reasons I opted for a newer one. I was actually considering replacing my smaller mill with a larger one from Griz. as well. So we will see.
Has anyone tried the "red tacky" NLGI #2 grease for their lathe? I can't think of the brand off hand. But Lucas comes to mind.

I'm sure the new lathe will be fine. But,I think Grizzly could at least have included some basic things with it. Centers,tailstock wrench,perhaps at least a face plate. Certainly a manual. Not slamming the quality of the lathe itself. Just wonder how much they are riding the name?

I have checked on the prices of some of the accessories,like a steady rest,and they are very high indeed.

Well, you are correct George. The accessories are indeed high. But I didn't expect to get any accessories with a test model. I had considered the smaller 8K but the electronics card veered me away. ( $500.00 replacement ). Not to mention the additional accessories cost and the fact it is a to be discontinued model.
So after spending another couple of hours looking over and dealing with the machine, I found other issues. Unfortunately.
Having finally received the newly acquired chuck keys and chucks I bought, I went ahead and put a plug on the end of the power cord they had wired to the Forward/ reverse switch, ( 110 v) just to get the back plate sized to fit the cheaper Shars 6" chuck. That being done, I noticed the speeds did not match up with the chart. So I looked closer.
The chart has the Low speeds from the motor and main idler backwards. What should be high speeds is marked low speeds and vice versa. I then looked in the manual and the picture of the main gears is reversed from what the manual shows. Even though it doesn't make any difference in spindle speed. But the chart is still off. I reversed the gears to mimic what was in the manual. The gears seem to fit better the way they were. The belt pulley doesn't line up well, other wise. It jumps over 1/4" or so. Next, assuming the chart was just printed wrong on the plate, I simply attached a piece of tape to allow me to just manually count the rpms on slow speeds and compare to the chart. The lowest speed, 60Rpm was correct. Or close to it. But the next spindle pulley to it which was supposed to be 141 Rpm appears to be way off. So now I need to attach a tachometer to see just how off all the rest are. Not to mention see if Grizzly has the report from the "testing" they did to get more accurate pulley sizes and ratios they came up with. I don't have the money or time at the moment to fit a 3 phase motor and VFD to the machine.
Does anyone have a good lead on a reliable and fairly easy to install Tachometer?
After reading a fairly favorable review on this 10K ( practical machinist ), I thought I was getting a reasonably good deal. Now I am thinking it is now starting to look like an expensive royal pain in the backside. Be sure to tune in next week for another episode of ......"As the lathe turns". :(

I stand corrected. The setting that is supposed to be 60 RPM is actually 86RPM and the next one over that is supposed to be 92 RPM is actually 250 RpM. Enough said. I am done.

The only tachometer I have is one of those old antique ones you hold against the end of a shaft and time for a minute. Works fine.

So,am I reading you right-is the speed chart messed up on your new lathe?

P.S.: Are you the Ron Bontz who makes infill planes on another forum?

I am really interested in hearing more about this lathe since I may buy one. Where do you thing the speed is off?
More importantly, how is the fit and finish of the lathe?
R

I am really interested in hearing more about this lathe since I may buy one. Where do you thing the speed is off?
More importantly, how is the fit and finish of the lathe?
R

Hi George. Yes. Bontz Saw Works. That evil guy that makes shaped saw plates. :) Some day I should make you one of my saws with crispy edges just so you know I can. :) :) This lathe was for some future tools I was hoping to make/ design. I thought I was getting basically a plug and play lathe. My error. I did speak with a tech guy at Griz. It seems this was one of the first "test" lathes they received. ( No one ever bothered to mention that one ) Based on what I have read from others, I am guessing the later version(s) were/are better with the bugs worked out. I was obviously mistaken to assume this was just a test/ demo model you usually find on the floor. When the photo tach arrives ( yet another delay), I will test the motor, and pulley system to get more accurate RPM data. Then go from there. In the mean time I will leave it 110V and run it through a magnetic switch with an emergency stop I can bump with my knee. I believe that is the standard switch on the newer versions. I will try to post some other pics tomorrow.

IMG_2221.JPG IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2228.JPG IMG_2230.JPG IMG_2234.JPG

Back