The New South Bend 10K

A few used ones from Craig's list in your area to throw into the mix -

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/4839318121.html - This one "looks" decent.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/4813325360.html - Might be worth a look?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/4766909211.html - South Bend 13" ... I'd have to go look at this one if it was for sale local.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/4824456398.html - Maybe a bit pricey, but comes with DRO, again - "looks" decent. Might also be worth a look.

Of course, if they were for sale in my area, they would be priced from $4000 - $6500. Everyone around here thinks they are made of gold and are looking to retire on the sale.

Mark

Thanks Mark,
I think most of those are too heavy, especially the 13". That Enco 12 x 36 weighs 1250#. I thought about finding an old SB 9". I do not really want a threaded spindle. I think the cam lock is a big improvement. I also want to be able to do metric threads. I know I could make a conversion gear for the older lathe if I had to.
I will keep looking for an old 9" or 10K and probably buy one if I find a really nice one. Most of the nicer machines are in the northeast. Hopefully this will be my last lathe purchase so I don't mind spending a little more.
R

They are some good looking deals on lathes

Here's a great deal on a 10k: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/4838671710.html

"42" 10k I would say my lathe is in near perfect condition and completely tooled. 3 & 4 jaw chuck, live/dead centers, QC tool post, My ford milling attachment & vice, collets w/closer, taper attachment, VFD, micrometer stop, drill chuck, dogs and some other stuff"

For $2100 I'd call that a steal even with the 10 hr drive

Here's a great deal on a 10k: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/4838671710.html

"42" 10k I would say my lathe is in near perfect condition and completely tooled. 3 & 4 jaw chuck, live/dead centers, QC tool post, My ford milling attachment & vice, collets w/closer, taper attachment, VFD, micrometer stop, drill chuck, dogs and some other stuff"

For $2100 I'd call that a steal even with the 10 hr drive

Wow! That looks like a great machine. That would be worth it. I don't know about transportation.
From this:
http://neme-s.org/Shaper Books/South Bend/SB Weights B.pdf
it looks like the 10k weight is less than 750# (not the heavy)
R

Last edited:
Thanks Mark,
I think most of those are too heavy, especially the 13". That Enco 12 x 36 weighs 1250#. I thought about finding an old SB 9". I do not really want a threaded spindle. I think the cam lock is a big improvement. I also want to be able to do metric threads. I know I could make a conversion gear for the older lathe if I had to.
I will keep looking for an old 9" or 10K and probably buy one if I find a really nice one. Most of the nicer machines are in the northeast. Hopefully this will be my last lathe purchase so I don't mind spending a little more.
R

The South Bend 9" and 10K models were never available with the cam lock spindle nose, only threaded. The D1-4" cam lock spindle nose was standard on the heavy 10 from the mid 1970's on (and available as an option before that).

David

The South Bend 9" and 10K models were never available with the cam lock spindle nose, only threaded. The D1-4" cam lock spindle nose was standard on the heavy 10 from the mid 1970's on (and available as an option before that).

David

Thanks David, I knew that. The new SB 10K has a D1-3 cam lock.
I contacted the guy with the old 10K in Detroit. It only has 22" between centers so that may be a deal breaker for me.
R

Well, I guess this thread is as good an any for a first post. The only reason being all of the research I've done on these new SB lathes from Grizzly. I was looking for a lathe just a step up from the typical Chinese version. It proved to be a pretty tough job as there's not many that fit this description. It's either super cheap or super expensive. I think that's where these new SB's shine. I guess I've owned the 8k for over a year now and been very happy with it. Spinlde bearing issues (can't use grease. Spindle oil only) where reported with the very first version of these lathes but that's seemed to be worked out by the time I came around (32009xp5 ABEC 5 came in mine) There's a very good reason why these SB lathes are more expensive. It's what better quality costs. Now it's certainly not perfect but it's a far and away better than any other new lathe in it's size range IMO (except probably it's German copy, the Wabeco.) However, the 10k seems to be the first truly quality lathe in the new South Bend selections. The 8k would be an excellent HSM lathe but the 10k has been show to perform great in a work/production type environment. There's a complete thread reviewing this lathe in a work/production type environment which would be an interesting read for you. The 5" 3 jaw that comes with it has been shown to repeat in the millionths in more than one thread.

The two biggest drawbacks reported are the low RPM range and spindle bore size(60-1200 rpm, .86" bore w/MT# 3 taper. The 8k excels there w/ a 1.5hp DC (50-2300rpm) & 1.125" spindle bore, it a MT# 4.5 taper though and I don't like that at all. I've heard there's enough meat to take it out to MT#5 but haven't looked into it.

The bottom line is quality IMO. If you want quality then you're going to have to pay more. If don't mind dealing w/ hand ground gibs, cast iron dust in places it shouldn't be, and working around the errors we typically find in Chinese made lathes, then this might not be the lathe for you. That goes for used lathes as well. I'm in Texas though....so those $500 heavy 10's with no wear don't exist....I'd have to buy the lathe for more and spend another few thousand getting it as accurate as a new 10k would be. If this thread proves anything, it's why all these cheap lathes exist. When a quality one is introduced, no one wants to pay for it.:lmao:

Now, having said all that, If I was looking for a lathe right now with a budget around the new SB10k, I'd take a hard look at the PM1340gt. Seemingly another well made Taiwanese lathe.

I notice Grizzly's about to release the South Bend Heavy 10 Gearhead lathe (10X30). 1.358" spindle bore & 55-2500 rpm motor. Looks really nice but takes a couple thousand dollars more to get.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little. I would have posted links to all my references but I haven't read the forum rules yet. Not sure if that's OK?

Y'all have a good day.
Jason

Interesting that you posted this, as I too have an 8k (almost 2 years now) and the quality, fit and finish and accuracy is WAY above the other asian imports in this size range. I put drip oilers on the spindle bearings and a 5" set-tru three jaw chuck on it and it is quite rigid for it's size (6" bed width and 8" swing = ratio of 80%). You don't get that on a typical 12" lathe.

Anyway, I was looking for a larger lathe to do long-gun work on and considered the 10k but the spindle bore was a killer for me (figured I could take care of the speed limitations with a VFD/motor change) So, I have a PM 1340GT coming this month and after reading all the good reviews about it am looking forward to working with a good quality lathe large enough to do what I want, but in a size/weight I want to deal with. I looked at the new heavy ten but I don't think it will compare to the 1340 feature wise, and certainly not price wise.

Well, I guess this thread is as good an any for a first post. The only reason being all of the research I've done on these new SB lathes from Grizzly. I was looking for a lathe just a step up from the typical Chinese version. It proved to be a pretty tough job as there's not many that fit this description. It's either super cheap or super expensive. I think that's where these new SB's shine. I guess I've owned the 8k for over a year now and been very happy with it. Spinlde bearing issues (can't use grease. Spindle oil only) where reported with the very first version of these lathes but that's seemed to be worked out by the time I came around (32009xp5 ABEC 5 came in mine) There's a very good reason why these SB lathes are more expensive. It's what better quality costs. Now it's certainly not perfect but it's a far and away better than any other new lathe in it's size range IMO (except probably it's German copy, the Wabeco.) However, the 10k seems to be the first truly quality lathe in the new South Bend selections. The 8k would be an excellent HSM lathe but the 10k has been show to perform great in a work/production type environment. There's a complete thread reviewing this lathe in a work/production type environment which would be an interesting read for you. The 5" 3 jaw that comes with it has been shown to repeat in the millionths in more than one thread.

The two biggest drawbacks reported are the low RPM range and spindle bore size(60-1200 rpm, .86" bore w/MT# 3 taper. The 8k excels there w/ a 1.5hp DC (50-2300rpm) & 1.125" spindle bore, it a MT# 4.5 taper though and I don't like that at all. I've heard there's enough meat to take it out to MT#5 but haven't looked into it.

The bottom line is quality IMO. If you want quality then you're going to have to pay more. If don't mind dealing w/ hand ground gibs, cast iron dust in places it shouldn't be, and working around the errors we typically find in Chinese made lathes, then this might not be the lathe for you. That goes for used lathes as well. I'm in Texas though....so those $500 heavy 10's with no wear don't exist....I'd have to buy the lathe for more and spend another few thousand getting it as accurate as a new 10k would be. If this thread proves anything, it's why all these cheap lathes exist. When a quality one is introduced, no one wants to pay for it.:lmao:

Now, having said all that, If I was looking for a lathe right now with a budget around the new SB10k, I'd take a hard look at the PM1340gt. Seemingly another well made Taiwanese lathe.

I notice Grizzly's about to release the South Bend Heavy 10 Gearhead lathe (10X30). 1.358" spindle bore & 55-2500 rpm motor. Looks really nice but takes a couple thousand dollars more to get.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little. I would have posted links to all my references but I haven't read the forum rules yet. Not sure if that's OK?

Y'all have a good day.
Jason

Thank you both for your input. Very helpful.
I can't understand why the 8K has such a larger spindle bore than the 10K. I was thinking for long gun work I could use a steady rest and work at the tailstock end.
R

Back