The Hourglass

My daughter was in the drama group in junior high and high school. Best group she could have gotten involved with. No stage fright or fear of public speaking because of her involvement. She finally got a decent role for her last play of her senior year, and ended up with "Actress of the Year" honors. The Directors can be a bit particular. When they did Beauty and The Beast the Director wanted a special "Dying Rose" which was super expensive.

I would bet that the kids fight over who gets to keep your hour glass!

Thanks for sharing.

Roy

I think we all owe a thanks to the Drama teacher. Without her, we would not have had the privilege to see how to work Glass on a vertical Mill. This is an Awesome build and has opened up my mind to soooooo many possibilities

What a great build and thanks for sharing it.

When I was a kid, and those bottle and glass cutters came out, My Grandmother taught me how to do it, with a string soaked in kerosene. Just tie it where you want, light it, and just tap the smoky part when it cools. Worked really well

Awesome build Jim it looks great!

Were you able to calibrate it to get an hour on it?

I always felt a little guilty when helping my kids with school projects, even though I always tried to let them do as much on their own as possible they still always turned out considerably better than the average elementary school kid could do on his own lol. I like going to the science fair and guessing which kids dad has a nice shop at home, its not hard to tell haha.

Awesome build Jim it looks great!

Were you able to calibrate it to get an hour on it?

I always felt a little guilty when helping my kids with school projects, even though I always tried to let them do as much on their own as possible they still always turned out considerably better than the average elementary school kid could do on his own lol. I like going to the science fair and guessing which kids dad has a nice shop at home, its not hard to tell haha.

Thank you for the kind words.

The scene that this is going to be used in is only a couple of minutes long, so we took a wild guess at the timing. As it turned out, we got lucky and it's about right. The most important aspect of this project is that is was approved by the drama class instructor.:))

Nice Job!! Nothing like using a 16" cannon to go squirrel hunting. I've used those HF diamond wheels and they are truly impressive. Again, good job. Keep that hour glass as a momento for when they are grown up and moved away and you can relive your moment of true greatness for your grandkids.

Jim -

That's truly a fantastic job, and your post is very instructive. I've built sets and props for three local community an high school theater groups for several years now. It always seems like the neatest, most elaborate (and time consuming) pieces are on stage for the shortest times. Ah well, that's show business! Thanks gain for posting. I followed the link in your post in "Shop made hold downs" to find this gem.

Back