The History of the Micrometer

Good find. I'd love to build the James Watt micrometer if there were drawings available. And talk about history, there's a thread going on over at PM on the history of the Palmer micrometer, the first patented micrometer in the style we use today. I'd love to find one of these at a flea market.

Palmer micrometer

DSCN8055_2.jpg

Tom

DSCN8055_2.jpg

DSCN8055_2.jpg

Good find. I'd love to build the James Watt micrometer if there were drawings available. And talk about history, there's a thread going on over at PM on the history of the Palmer micrometer, the first patented micrometer in the style we use today. I'd love to find one of these at a flea market.

Palmer micrometer

DSCN8055_2.jpg

Tom
OK,what's with the estimable Mr. Brown, the trip to the Paris Exhibition, Mr. Vernier, and wrapping the scale around a threaded caliper? I had a very early B&S example, gave it to a deserving historian....BLJHB

Palmer micrometer

DSCN8055_2.jpg

Tom

Hi Tom,

The link doesn't work for me. Please post it again.

Walt

Walt, sorry that the link does not work, but it is intentional. Let me explain: There are a number of other websites related to machining that have 'issues' with us at H-M, and they have vehemently requested that we do not link to their sites. As a result, our admins have set up filters on the server that remove links to those sites. Sorry, but it is at the request of those other sites, as childish as it may sound.

Back