The Funny Thing About Tools .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I can't seem to remember what I ate/ did yesterday , but as I unpack old boxes of tools .....

I remember where , when , for what price , the reason and what projects they were for . I'm sure there are those that would agree that your tools become a part of your life .

your tools become a part of your life .

Don't they, though.

I encountered a couple of days ago an Allen wrench [holder] I had made, a piece of half inch brass, drilled for the Allen wrench, a piece 1/4 dia across the other end, brazed together and stamped with my initials and a date in 1975. Close examination and memory reminded me that I had made the stamps for my initials. The wrench and the stamps brought back a flood of memories from my apprenticeship.

I also can remember where, when, for what price, the reason and what projects they were for right until I need that tool, and its no where to be found, until a day or two later when I don't need it anymore. Its interesting how I can remember in minute detail, things I did in my earlier life, but try to remember last Christmas, forgetaboutit!

CHuck the grumpy old guy

On the mark , plus you can remember exactly where you used and put them the last time you used them. To other people my garage is a junk hole to my mind I know where everything I own is in there. Had a friend help me move stuff around in the shop three years ago I'm still figuring out where he moved things .

Problem is I find it after I needed it, and either made a new one or purchased a new one. Then I put them up where I will be able to find them the next time I need them. But for the life of me when I need it a gain It is nowhere to be found. There must be some gremlins in the shop at night.

I have an easier time remembering when I bought a tool, all details about it and all of the details about mixing it than........anniversaries, birthdays and holidays.

I'm glad! :)

I do not have any problem remembering where, why, or when I got a tool. I can even remember where I put it the last time I used it. Now if those darn shop gremlins would leave things put I would be fine.

On the mark , plus you can remember exactly where you used and put them the last time you used them. To other people my garage is a junk hole to my mind I know where everything I own is in there. Had a friend help me move stuff around in the shop three years ago I'm still figuring out where he moved things .

I feel your pain. I too have a friend who "helps" me with my on-going shop reorganization. I fear all is lost. I'm now formulating a reorganization plan to find and sort the original organization plans results.

If I have this problem! And if the others on this thread have the same problem? Can we get a medical disability? How about a tax write-off? Better yet, how about a doctor’s excuse to go and buy a huge garage for more toys. One so big, it would be impossible for one person to fill up, huh.

Back