tHE FIRST PROJECT

B

BRIAN

Forum Guest
Register Today
hI ITS MY FIRST TRY AT A POST BUT YOU MAT LIKE TO SEE MY FIRST WORK ON MY MINI LATHE. IWANTED TO START THIS CLOCK 30 YEARS AGO BUT THINGS KEPT GETTING IN THE WAY. WHEN I STARTED THIS TIME A FRIEND ASKED ME TO MAKE ONE FOR HER SO 2 IS NOT A LOT HARDER THAN 1 WHEN YOU HAVE IT SET UP SO OFF WE GO!!! IF THIS WORKS I WILL POST PART2. REGARDS BRIAN

cutting the fusee.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I am in the right slot, the photo is out of sequence so I will try again Live and learn .
the project was started as soon as the late was out of the box so I had to build as I went along.
Looking back I was to keen by a long way.
SO I will try again with the photo's

2-Adding the  6mm radii.JPG 3-Cutting the frames.JPG 4-Frame assy.JPG 5-turning the barrel.JPG 6-The pile gets bigger.JPG 7-set up for cutting rachets.JPG 8-cutting 2 winding rachets.JPG 1-The scrap box taper turning attachment.JPG

I seem to have the photos in the corect order now so I will contiue with the show

If any one is interested dont hesitate to ask questions.

OOps hit the wrong button.

13-depthing min wheels.JPG 16-first assy.JPG 20-Table assy.JPG 22-finished dials.JPG 25-finished.JPG 9-great wheel.JPG 12-colection of wheels.JPG

Fine job, Brian! I always appreciate work on timepieces. There is potential far beyond pure function in that type of work. It has an aesthetic appeal that is attractive to me. I've never tackled a clock or watch, but I'd like to someday.

Hi to all. Thanks for your replys and kind comments,

Yes this was a big project ,but the cart came before the horse as they say .my son gave me the book for XmasTwo days later I orderd the lathe!! well I had to blame somone.

The clock is unusual, if you cosider the top part simply as a power house and event counter.and the lower part as the time keeper.

The time keeper is a see saw table with a zig zag track on it, a ball rolls down the track until it hits a trip arm, this allows the power to tilt the sea saw and the ball returns. a cycle both ways takes one minute, the second hand moving forward every 30 seconds,when the table tilts. regulation is by altering the length of the crank arm that tilts the table therfore the angle of the table.

Be careful starting to make clocks ITS ADICTIVE.

the taper turning attachment is Very simple if you want I will happily do a post on its construction.

Best regards to all BRIAN.

I got the hots for Horology years ago when visiting a customer in Houston that had an entire department dedicated to making a delicate assembly for their tool. It was about the size of a $2 cigar, but had almost 500 pieces! The shop had all those cute little lathes and mills under magnifiers, and had some genuine certified Horologists. That stuck in my mind until about 5 years ago, and I started again reading on it. Lots of info on the net about it, of course. I started drafting my own version of a watchmakers lathe. I'll build it sometime. I'm guessing that a clock would be a good started project, but I haven't found a decent plan set at my price ;)

Thats very impressive work.. I build guns and try for that 'works like a swiss watch' precision .. you cut to the chase and built the actual timepiece..Yeah I wouldnt want to build such a thing myself but I can appreciate the effort and skills involved. What will you build next?

The next project is a scratch built simple wall clock so i can get the feel of making an escapement
Keeping fingers crossed that it works. it may be good for first timers to build.see photo.

P1010922.JPG P1010911.JPG

This must be the ultimate convergence of art and function. I like.

Back