The End Of Enco?

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
From NYC CNC's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NYCCNC/?fref=nf

It appears that as of August, Enco will be no more. It will be absorbed by its parent company MSC.

I am sure that many of us have fortified our shops with purchases made with the frequent 20% off/free shipping offers. While MSC makes similar offers, they are usually limited to purchases of several hundred $.

I have been an Enco customer for more than thirty years. It will be missed.

+1 on that, RJ. They have a fairly crummy online catalog, but their prices, delivery time, and customer service is excellent. We need more like Enco, not less...

Been shopping at Enco since 1983, when most of their tooling was US or European made, what a change. lately they have quit sending me email offers, the selection in sale flyer has gotten worse and MSC who I rarely do business with, calls me to ask me to use them and that they would give me same prices. MSC screwed me out of a $200 credit I had with J&L when they bought out J &L ten years ago, MSC can go to hell , horrible prices , no customer service, who needs em, Shars here I come.

michael

The problem that I have with Shars and other on-line vendors is they have a very limited product line. There are times when you have to go to a full line vendor and Enco had a reasonably full line of products.

I can't say that I have ever had a bad experience with Enco. The only incident that I can recall was when I bought an R8 collet set and the 1/32" collet was replaced with a second 3/32" collet. At work, MSC was a preferred vendor and we always had a good experience with their products and deliveries. But then, we were a Fortune 500 company with a large manufacturing operation and so commanded their attention and respect.

I'll miss Enco. Good service, fast shipping, and good sales. No local Grizzly tent sale and now Enco. I feel lost.

From what I have seen, MSCs prices are not competitive? I hope I am wrong.
Robert
Correct. MSC prices are not competitive, and their minimum order amounts for discounts and free delivery promotions put them out of reach. Their prices make their sales meaningless, anyway.

Been shopping at Enco since 1983, when most of their tooling was US or European made, what a change. lately they have quit sending me email offers, the selection in sale flyer has gotten worse and MSC who I rarely do business with, calls me to ask me to use them and that they would give me same prices. MSC screwed me out of a $200 credit I had with J&L when they bought out J &L ten years ago, MSC can go to hell , horrible prices , no customer service, who needs em, Shars here I come.

michael
I have only placed one small order with MSC, for a couple small vise handles. The catalog description was not even close to what was sent and the sealed factory packaging had the correct vendor and MSC part numbers. MSC would not pay the freight for a return on them or refund my freight for the original delivery. I just checked, the catalogue still has them described wrong, several years later. Goodbye!

Edit: I bought my drill press from Enco, a Taiwanese 17" floor model. Still going strong. I just went and checked the build date, 1986. They had very good mail order catalogs in those days...

Last edited:
That is sad. :bawling: Now I need a 25% off and free shipping code soon. I want a Noga.

That is sad. :bawling: Now I need a 25% off and free shipping code soon. I want a Noga.

If you see a good sale code, please post it or send me a PM, they have cut me off from notification of sales. Their latest trick is to have trucking co bill you for freight even when is was truck freight free. Enco has been ruined by MSC. There was a time when MSC was a half decent company. I bought thousands $ worth of USA made tooling from them at good prices, I think I have bought from twice in last 10 years. Now that Shars is starting to sell some more upscale tooling and end mills, they will likely get my money and ebay.

cheers
michael

Back