The Carbide Insert Exchange - Find and unload your carbide inserts here!

pontiac428

John Newman
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have quite a few inserts that I have no toolholders for... and toolholders that I need inserts for. Maybe you do too... and him, and that guy, and them over there... In fact, I bet almost everybody is sitting on orphaned chips of tungsten carbide that they'll never use. And I am sure every one of us has a wish list. Let's combine the two and see what happens!

Use this thread to post your HAVES and WANTS for indexable carbide inserts. Let's keep it focused specifically on inserts, no need to add drill bits and scrap remnants to clutter it up. Inserts are an easy unit to manage, and should be pretty easy to exchange, especially if it's for something actually useful.

The way it works (as an example, I'll add my list when I'm in front of it):

Post what you WANT:
-CCMT 32.52 (other radii okay too) everything but HM (got plenty of those)
-CNMG (all types)

Post what you HAVE:
-3 boxes (10 ea.) of SCMT-32.52 YBC-252
-15 loose TPGN-321 with YBC-251

If someone has or wants something that you want or have, contact that member via PM and see if you can work out a deal. Try not to reply in the thread, instead use the board's messaging in an attempt to keep the contents easy to use and read. . I see no reason to have a lot of rules, but please use your normal online survival skillset when entering deals here. The Hobby-Machinist has no faculties to do anything about bad actors, so, like the pass-around-box, this exchange will rely on the good nature of its participants. Lucky for us, we're a good group, but I'm sure at least that @vtcnc appreciates the disclaimer.

Lets see those inserts!

Well I will have to spend some time identifying many of them and I am admittedly poor at insert ID.
Although I do machine on the job it's generally use what you can find as I repair not cut for a living.
I will be back! (MacArthur)
C

Attachments

• 16843712283403986398994985951969.jpg
    16843712283403986398994985951969.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 20
This should be a good thing. I know I have some inserts that were bought very early in my days of this hobby and have no use for.
Now I just need to inventory what is there.
Joe

This seems like a really good idea this weekend I will try and go through some of what I have . I know I have some and don’t have holders for them !! As far as identifying them I have a lot to learn also but will do my best

For insert identification, I have to plug @davidpbest's publication. It's a nice collection of information. Another way to ID common inserts is with the Shars catalog (and you will probably find guides in the others, too). There are a few basic shapes and some conventions for describing the insert. There are also myriad proprietary insert designs outside of the ISO designation system. I have a few cutters from Hitachi, Ingersoll, and Kennametal that use proprietaries, and they are probably useless to most of the people who have them in their possession. On eBay, they are either regarded as equal to their weight in gold, or they are being sold by someone for pennies on the dollar who just wants to get rid of them. I hope to level the playing field a little by bringing site users together to exchange here and avoid the market morass.

I promise to grab my notepad and make a list of my haves and wants this weekend. It's a little project, and it might develop slowly, but I'd rather feed into the pool here than toss things into eBay's maw. It's the grassroots thing to do.

Back