The Bear Is Home!

Reassemble in reverse order, with a couple of tips.

1: When remounting the Saddle after cleaning, keep the wipers loose until you have the retaining plates and gibs remounted and adjusted. The wipers provide an amazing amount of resistance to free movement!

2: Have an assistant to help reattach the apron! One person will have to hold it in position against the placement pins, while the other person gets the 4 socket screws started.

3: When replacing the lead screw and feed rod, check the alignment of the holes for the roll pins!! My lead screw roll pin is a one-way option. Reassembling after sunset, I got it seated most of the way before realizing the other side was about 30° off. Had to use a smaller roll pin punch and side cutters to pull out the partially driven pin, then rotate the lead screw 180° for the holes to align properly.

4: Reassembly of the compound showed that the gib, the handwheel bracket, the handwheel, spanner nut, and set screws, all have an effect on drag AND backlash! While it took some fidgeting to get the drag and backlash balanced, judging from the index ring on the compound the backlash is going to be less than 0.003". I'll verify this with a test indicator once the teardown/cleaning/reassembly is completed.

My apologies for the discombobulated order of the photos.

My partner and "apprentice" rolled his ankle prior to this project, so we will be doing it again in the not too distant future. At that time we'll conduct a video of the operations in the correct order.

Thanks, Tom!

Continuing on today, all I did was disassemble the 3-Jaw universal chuck and clean it. Really not too dirty. As mentioned before, neither of the POs cleaned it well from the factory gunk.

I noticed when removing the chuck that two of the mounting pins were not cammed correctly.

The chuck had a bit of binding on the #3 jaw. That disappeared after cleaning.

When you clean your 3-Jaw chucks, make sure to get and and all chips out while you are in there.

If you go so far as to remove the scroll, it will be a tight fit. I used a nylon drift punch to tap the scroll out. Nice and gentle.

BearSpindle.jpg Bear3Jback.jpg Bear3Jscrews.jpg Bear3Jcover.jpg Bear3Jopen.jpg Bear3Jpinionscrew.jpg Bear3Jscroll.jpg Bear3Jbody.jpg Bear3Jclean.jpg Bear3Jscrollback.jpg Bear3Jset1.jpg Bear3Jset2.jpg

That's a lot of effort you've put into your lathe, but now you know your lathe intimately and you will have a smoother running and operating machine . The 3 in 1 is a really nice score, I'm still looking for one. Cheers, Mike

Back