THAT'S IT!!!! Janitor Accesories for all!!!!

I have learned to fight back! I now carefully place tools in places like my BBQ, in my daughters toy box, in the ashtray of my SUV, in with the dog food... I know have very little problem finding things! They just magically appear when I need them. Of course the dogs look at me funny when they end up with my machinist square in their bowl, but it all works out in the end!

I lost a 5/8" carbide 4 flute corner radius endmill. Brand new, I used it for only one cut. Next time I went to use it, the damn thing was nowhere to be found. I searched for 3 days straight! That was 2 years ago!

Every once in a while when I remember it I'll search but no luck. Started to think I was going crazy & I never had one to begin with. Well 2 months ago I found the container it came in. WTH! Ok, so I guess I'm not crazy but if I found the container, where the hell can that endmill be? Damn gremlins can actually chew carbide or what?

Damn, I hope I don't remember tomorrow, otherwise I'll be spending half the day looking for it again!

It also dosent help matters when you have a 3 yr old who likes to rearange the "pretty rings", thats washers to you and me.
I also have a 7 yr old who likes to take things apart. Unfortunatly he looses half the parts trying to hide his mess up.
My kids and the grimelins make life very interesting.:screwy:

Jake Parker

Back about 25 years ago we rented a place not far from here, but the only place I could put my tool chest was on a wooden pallet in the garage, which had a gravel floor. One day I start to cut the lawn and in the middle of the front yard I find my 2 pound cross peen hammer. Odd, I thought, I don't remember leaving that out here, don't know why it would have been out here in the first place.

Couple days later my wife chastises me for leaving my tools laying all over the yard. I go out into the yard and find my 1/2" ratchet, an extension, and the same hammer as before, plus a small ball peen hammer. My oldest was four years old at the time, and being out in farm country, he was allowed to play out in the yard by himself for short periods, though we checked on him often. It was our thought that he was trying to imitate daddy and was carting my tools around. We explained to him that he needed to leave the tools alone.

A few days later I am working on my pickup, installing a new hanger bearing. As I'm laying under the truck, Buck, our nine month old black lab/elk hound mix comes under there also, trying to get my attention. So I pet him briefly and push him away. Next thing you know he picks up a 3/4" wrench and takes off with it!!

Okay, now we know who the tool bandit is, and we figure the solution to the problem is to make sure that all of the tools get put away in the tool chest. Easy peasy!

Next day, same thing, hammers and ratchet are out in the yard again!! I put them away yet again, and closed the lid on the tool chest. Next thing you know, here comes Buck, pushes the lid up enough to get his nose under the lid, grabs one of the hammers and takes off at a run!!

That was it!! Went to town, bought a bunch of 2x4s, carriage bolts, nails, etc., brought it all home and built a bench for the garage, placed the tool chest on the bench. You guessed it, Buck jumped up on the bench and took what he wanted. I finally had to resort to locking the doggone tool chest just to keep him out of it!

They'll try to tell you it was there all the time. It wasn't. Those evil little monsters love to take things, hide them in their dens for a few days, and them put them back where they found them. They thrive on the waves of frustration pouring off of you while you search for it.

How true it is. I really dont have problems with chuck keys cause they all have light chains on em. My problem is keys I hate keys they are meant for prisons. My father was
a key and lock freak, now my boys the same. Why lock a vehicle up for repair when theres no motor in it? he does...Then this kid constantly takes away my back pain releif
fluid (yeh little Jack releaves pain and warms my feet) Idea solution ; one Eagle 66 oil can with "Jack" (the one that don't squirt no more) and then if the night demon finds it and drinks it
he wont get too far. In the house-cat stealing pens & caught him with keys in his mouth, then I find them under the fridge with a yard stick.
I love this post, its a real problem when ya gotta hide cigars in a reamer container, Taping mouse traps on mic containers etc. do what ya gotta do...

I'm over it. I'm done with it. I'm going to start carrying a meat tenderizer hammer in a hip holster.

I've had it up to *here* with the damn tool gremlins, and the first time I see one I'm going to go rabid badger on it. I won't stop till there's nothing left but soup, and then I'll set fire to that.

I was *JUST USING* my dang drill chuck key on the Taig lathe. Seriously. I faced off my stock, fitted the tailstock, center drilled a hole, and went to swap out the center drill for a drill bit. The chuck key was *NOT* where I put it, about 10 seconds earlier.

So I figured, "Maybe it fell down." Scrounged around on the lathe stand, on the floor, on the totes next to it, in the drawers (a dozen times!), in my pockets, you name it.

That darn chuck key is *GONE!*

I isn't *anywhere* around the lathe, or it's base. Not in the drawers, not on the shelves, not in my pockets, I even drug the lathe stand out away from the wall and looked behind it, nothing. Nada. Nein. No.

This is the *THIRD* chuck key I've had disappear, *WHILE I WAS RUNNING THE LATHE RIGHT AFTER USING IT*, and I'm completely pi$$ed about it.

So, I'm going to go to Ace Hardware, and buy a half dozen of those retractable keyring things like the janitors put on their keys. And a new chuck key. And I'm going to figure a way to attach it to the retractable keyring like it's a structural element of the Golden Gate Bridge. I want that thing to put the operator in danger of loosing an eye if you just drop the chuck key. I'll drill a through-hole in the chuck key handle and thread on a keyring if I have to!

And if I *EVER* see that dang tool gremlin, I'm gonna snatch that hammer out of the belt holster so fast the leather bursts into flames as the handle clears it, and pound that smug little tool-moving jerk into a quivering lump of jelly in a fashion that violates the Geneva Convention, and all bounds of human decency. Then I'll scrape up what's left and throw it in my foundry furnace, and unleash 250,000 BTU's of propane hellfire on it, until all that's left is ash. Then I'll grind the ash up and scatter it across all 5 of my acres of property.

*pant pant pant*

Okay, that's the end of my rant. Off to buy a chuck key, retractable keyrings, and a hip holster for my meat tenderizer. Heck, I might just epoxy half a cinderblock to a handle and use that. A 3 lb short sledge is waaay underkill for this.

Gah!!!!

If you believe in the theory of parallel universes, there's an alternate you that is ranting on the alternate Hobby-Machinist forum about the chuck keys that keep falling through the portal.

We watch a lot of Wi-Fi around here.

I estimate that I've probably lost a couple of thousand hours of shop time looking for things that were just where I left them - problem is: I can't remember where I left them. It usually happens when I'm doing one task then get distracted by another while I still have the tool from the first task in my hand; set that tool down attend to the distraction only to be further distracted by something else - and on and on. Very frustrating, but not as frustrating as going from garage to shop or vice versa to get something only to realize on arrival that I can't remember why I made the trip!

It usually happens when I'm doing one task then get distracted by another while I still have the tool from the first task in my hand; set that tool down attend to the distraction only to be further distracted by something else - and on and on.

A friend of mine used to call that "pack rat syndrome." It turns out that pack rats aren't really into commerce ... they just can't carry more than one object at a time. Thus they appear to be trading all the time. And I've got it bad, myself - both aspects of packratism!

Very frustrating, but not as frustrating as going from garage to shop or vice versa to get something only to realize on arrival that I can't remember why I made the trip!

Oh, sing me a song about that one!

PS - Back on the subject of chuck keys ... here's my solution. Either a broom clip as shown on the drill press (yes, that's a keyless chuck, but I also have a keyed one), or a U of aluminum with a magnet embedded in the center, as shown on my mini-mill.

kHPIM3378.jpgkHPIM3380.jpg

kHPIM3378.jpg kHPIM3380.jpg

I estimate that I've probably lost a couple of thousand hours of shop time looking for things that were just where I left them - problem is: I can't remember where I left them. It usually happens when I'm doing one task then get distracted by another while I still have the tool from the first task in my hand; set that tool down attend to the distraction only to be further distracted by something else - and on and on. Very frustrating, but not as frustrating as going from garage to shop or vice versa to get something only to realize on arrival that I can't remember why I made the trip!

Whew... I thought it was just me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back