Thanks

Looking2Learn

Registered
Registered
Want to say thanks to those who have posted here. I'm beginning the search for a SB and have learned a lot from the various posts and links in those posts. That information helped me decide not to buy a fairly good-looking 13" on CL, after I learned from reading this site that 1) it's a 1919 or 1920 unit (serial # 23249) and 2) those older lathes had many hand-fitted parts. So, I'll keep looking & learning. Thanks again. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's probably a wise choice. An older machine like that makes for a nice piece, but not the best for a beginning restorer, or one who expects to start making parts immediately. Lots of those parts are hand fitted, and difficult to reproduce, or locate usable pieces and fit them.

Be patient, and the right one will come along.

I'm in SW OH. Thanks for the offer - very much appreciated - but I'll just keep on eyeing Craigslist and local classifieds. Work and chores here might not make it possible for me to get to a good deal in time. I'm not in a drop-dead rush to get a SB, just decided to start the search (so I'm patient). I also often use searchtempest dot com to make wide-ranging CL searches to get a feel for what's in areas within a day's driving distance and to get a general feel for prices.

Thanks for your posts, too - I've learned a lot from them.

We're near Dayton. Yes, this area is a good place to look for machinery. That's bittersweet to say, because it's a reflection of the state of things. Machine shops & tool & die shops have folded & are folding all over the place. Dayton used to be a hub for GM manufacturing, and all kinds of shops supported them. No more. Last yr, I passed a big lathe going the opposite direction on a flatbed, turning into one of the local recycling yards. I had to be somewhere else, couldn't turn around, felt like I'd left somebody hurt by the side of the road. Kinda got the same concern about the old SB that I looked at but passed on, but I just can't take on another project with so many unknowns and with so little experience on my part. :-\
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
makes me cringe at the thought of an old lathe going to get melted down for scrap.... >:(

Yes! Sorry that haven't checked in, has been a busy 2 wks at work * home. Found a SB10K UMD, 3-1/2' bed. About 40 yrs old. Had to take it apart to be able to lift it, haven't had chance to make it whole again after getting it home this wk (let me get all the swarf out of it, though). Has 3- and 4-jaw chucks, all the tool holders plus a couple of boring bars and lots & lots of tool bits (but a std lantern post), taper jig, live center, drill chuck, mikes, dial indicators. No follower/steady rest or face plates, though. I think the belt came apart in such a way that I can glue it back together but if not there are at least 2-3 places around here that will make new belts. Steady rest inner bed rails are a bit dinged right next to the chuck but the outer carriage rails are still in good shape and little wear. Cross slide appears to be fairly tight, too. Is set up with 220V motor but also came with brand new 110V TEFC replacement. Looking forward to getting it all back together and making some chips. Have downloaded a copy of HTRAL and want to understand that a bit before firing it up. Also want to hit all the lube points before turning it on - don't want this to be HTRuinAL. BTW, I may need some help reassembling the taper jig. Though I was careful, two thin strips of steel, each with machined depressions on one side, slid out as I was taking it apart and I'm not sure where these go and the correct orientation (wrt to the depressions and machined edges). But I'm not going to be cutting tapers for awhile, so that can wait, and I'll post pix when I get to that point.

Thanks!

Back