Thank You All

AR. Hillbilly

Registered
Registered
I hope this isn't the wrong place to put this. I just want to thank you all for all the help I've been given here.
I'm getting a second chance in life to live out one of my dreams. When I bought my lathe I had no experience or knowledge on how to run it. Everything I've asked was answered in a nice manor and never once did I feel like I was made to look like an idiot. I'm starting to get a feel for it and understand it's capabilities as well as my own capabilities. I'm finally moving on from practice to making simple parts and doing some repair work. Everything I've learned so far is very valuable to me and even comes in handy at my real job from time to time. I'm so glad I found this place and hope to one day have knowledge to pass on to others as I've been given here. All the recomendations for videos and tooling have also been a real help.

I started in the same place as you. I had a machine but I didn't have any experience. I'm still not good but I learned how to make chips pretty well. I even have something left over that looks like a usable part most of the time.

The demeanor of the people here ether attracts more like them or rubs off in others.

When it comes to machining one thing we learn after a while is that. No matter how long you have been doing something you will still be learning new things. I have been machining since 1968 and am still learning some things on here. I learned new stuff through the years at many different places I worked and here after I no longer worked. There will always be new ways to do things and ways people come up with to do stuff with hardly anything. SO get ready to learn things for the rest of your days.

I have run into some who think they already know everything. But at some point they will learn that they don't.

I hope this isn't the wrong place to put this. I just want to thank you all for all the help I've been given here.
I'm getting a second chance in life to live out one of my dreams. When I bought my lathe I had no experience or knowledge on how to run it. Everything I've asked was answered in a nice manor and never once did I feel like I was made to look like an idiot. I'm starting to get a feel for it and understand it's capabilities as well as my own capabilities. I'm finally moving on from practice to making simple parts and doing some repair work. Everything I've learned so far is very valuable to me and even comes in handy at my real job from time to time. I'm so glad I found this place and hope to one day have knowledge to pass on to others as I've been given here. All the recomendations for videos and tooling have also been a real help.

I feel the same way. There's a huge amount of talent on here. I usually don't reply much because I'm realizing how little of the machining world I really know. I read a lot and learn from a lot from everyone's posts. I enjoy everything from the very basics to the "holy cow, you can do that?" to the "I have no idea what he's doing" posts. It's all great fun.

When it comes to machining one thing we learn after a while is that. No matter how long you have been doing something you will still be learning new things. I have been machining since 1968 and am still learning some things on here. I learned new stuff through the years at many different places I worked and here after I no longer worked. There will always be new ways to do things and ways people come up with to do stuff with hardly anything. SO get ready to learn things for the rest of your days.

I have run into some who think they already know everything. But at some point they will learn that they don't.
Oh, so true!!

Back