tension compression tapping head

Thanks for your effort, but I was thinking of something simpler. That is way to complicated to make myself.

Are you planning to use a pillar drill or a mill and if the latter what kind?
I ask because in a mill with a quill which can be unlocked and used with a lever action like a pillar drill you can leave the quill unlocked and the quill will float as the tap pulls in, if you use a tap with a reduced shank long enough and leave clearance under the work there is no chance of breaking the tap or scrapping the job.
There are many ways to skin a cat but when asking for suggestions it helps to specify the type of cat and the tools available as otherwise everyone responding is just guessing and lots of frustration on all sides can ensue :D

- Nick

Thanks ha ha.
Sorry for the little info I gave you. I am going to use a milling/drilling machine. My machines lowest speed is 220rpm. Is that not to fast for tapping mild steel plate. I ask because I have never tapped with the machine running, always by hand.

Tapping in the mill I usually rely on hitting reverse at the appropriate moment.
If you go for less than 100% thread so the tap doesn't bind your cordless should manage the job, especially if you use a tapping lube,

- Nick
Do you release your quil spring when you do it on the mill?

Are you looking for something like this? It's called a tension/compression tap holder or a floating tap holder.

View attachment 247836
This one is a ER20 floating tap holder with a 3/4" shank. It has about .200" of compression and slightly less than .500" of tension/extension. It's meant to be used in a milling machine with a reversing spindle.

That looks good,I will check with my tooling suppliers if they might have something like that in stock. Last when I spoke to them,I asked about a auto reverse tapping head,but that is much to expensive for my pocket.

Might try brown paper wrapped around tap shank in the cordless drill , I've heard it improves the grip

I will try that for now and if that does not work I will go for the plan of francist,because I AM in a bind and need to finish these holes quiqly this coming week,but I would want to get something more permanent to use in my mill/drill for future tapping that is not too expensive.

That looks good,I will check with my tooling suppliers if they might have something like that in stock. Last when I spoke to them,I asked about a auto reverse tapping head,but that is much to expensive for my pocket.

The one in the picture came from Shars. I bought it on eBay for the catalogue price delivered to my door. The fit and finish is excellent. Haven't used it yet so can't report on how well it works.

Back