Telescoping Jack Screw - FINAL PROJECT

I remember those days in vokie, there nothing like getting out in the real world. You don't just watch your machine run , do your deburring. Clean up . At least when I started , still remember the worse job I had in any shop. Cleaning the sump on a big turret LATHE using your hands to scrap the foulest smelling crap out. That had to be done about twice a year on every lathe with water soluble oil. Sure don't miss that. But back to your project , I agree with the fine threads , but if your being graded I'd stick with the print , unless you get a revision on it . The Jack looks like it will be usefull , do yourself a favor make two. You will find many times over your need for more then just one. I think it may be good to add for yourself some knurled nuts to lock one section. Just my observation.
I'd make them for both myself. The 1" and the 5/8" threaded as each section.

so what you're saying is my first job will be cleaning machines?
No I didn't say that, I said you usually are asked to do more then just watch a lathe run . May be different now but when I started I had to do more things besides run a lathe or mill. While it did it's job I had to deburr ones that were done , or keep ahead of the chips by cleaning them out . Read the post don't jump to conclusions no one's attacking you. Just things I've been through. Has far as the cleaning of the sumps it was part of working on the machines . They didn't clean themselves . And they didn't hire cleaning people . Just part of the job

Arrive at work fresh & ready to start your shift & the machines are a mess is akin to walking into the bathroom & un-flushed toilet!

Our high schools offered vocational machine shop for junior & senior students. Three area Vo-tech schools offered classes too. None of them offer any type of machining training now. :apologize:
Unfortunately, vocational programs are at the mercy of academia. Has anyone ever heard of anyone teaching a STEM class justifying the funding for their classs based on the number of students placed in a job/occupation based on their study? How many high school football programs have been shut down due to budgets? I know this isn't true across America, but when a school district reinstates a vocational program it's promoted as if someone had an epiphany, vocational training is a path to jobs and an improved economy, WOW!

Okay, soapbox put away. :D

so what you're saying is my first job will be cleaning machines?
There are few cars on the road in good condition, where the owner didn't take of it. If your first job was cleaning machines would it be bad. If you had to clean machines that were supposed to be cleaned by the operator and they didn't, I'm sure you wouldn't be a happy camper. Otherwise the amount of cleaning you experience will be part of the job as long as you choose to machine, and it should be.

If the cleaning is delegated to someone other than yourself how do you or will you know the condition of the machine you're running? Let's say you have a run of 500 parts to get done today and the cleaning of the machine is delegated to the apprentice and he's not happy cleaning nor understands why he must. So the fact that the chip auger had been getting sloppier for the last two weeks isn't a big deal to him, but it is to you and at 235 parts into your shift things fall apart. Maybe you would have seen the failure coming and a little preventive maintenance would have prevented the shutdown. The maintenance crew could have repaired the auger on the night shift...........?

Some footage of me taking .100 cuts at a .003 feed rate. My friend said he ran a .012 feed rate while taking .100 cuts, but I thought that was too quick for that much material...?

Your chips are not blue and the finish looks reasonable so you could up the feed. RPM looks slow for Coll Rolled. 100x4 divided by the diameter should get you in the speed. Grab the closest you can get on the LeBlond; those lathes are pretty rigid.

Sorry SilverBullet if I came across that way, just trying to get first-hand info of what its gonna be like at an actual shop because I've never worked in one before!

Hmm, I was told to take 280 / workpiece diameter. That gave me 280 and I put 329 on the Le Blond. I usually run it at 436, but slowed it down some based on the calculation. The finish was actually pretty awesome, so I could have easily gone double the speed, at least for roughing I think. You said .100 x 4 / diameter and that gave me .001. Did you mean 100 x 4 / diameter, that gave me 400, which is similar to what I usually ran at...

Well the place I work at hired 2 people to clean machines and change coolant, made the operators lazy! I usually get the "well its been hammering for a week or so" or "its not working" when I find the 1" end-mill chunk that broke off laying in the auger and they have that deer in the headlights look and say it was the other shift. My favorite was finding a 321 block in our chip puck maker, made it through 3 different augers before stopping up the feed auger just before it was about to get munched by the 60 ton ram...but no one knew who was missing a 321 block?

Hmm, I was told to take 280 / workpiece diameter. That gave me 280 and I put 329 on the Le Blond. I usually run it at 436, but slowed it down some based on the calculation. The finish was actually pretty awesome, so I could have easily gone double the speed, at least for roughing I think. You said .100 x 4 / diameter and that gave me .001. Did you mean 100 x 4 / diameter, that gave me 400, which is similar to what I usually ran at...

I think you saw the period at the end of my sentence and read it at ".100. The universal formula for calculating speed, be it turning, boring, drilling or milling is Cutting Speed x 4 / diameter

So for 1018 or mild steel the cutting speed is generally listed at 90-100; so 100 x 4 = 400/diameter

Cutting speeds for common materials are listed in books like the Machinery's Handbook, South Bend How to Run a Lathe and in many places on the internet.
This site just happens to be one I have printed the chart from because it fits on one page.
https://www.wisc-online.com/LearningContent/mtl8202/MLT8202.htm

Back