Telescoping Jack Screw - FINAL PROJECT

Looks like a cool project, Justin. Basic lathe work - turning, grooving, knurling, internal and external threading. The only thing that might be interesting is the ball on the end of the small jack screw. It has to match the inside of the top piece? Do you have a radius tool available? From the dimensions, it looks like the top just perches on top of the top screw; it doesn't snap on, or does it?

I believe it snaps on, but I could be wrong. We haven't done internal threading yet, or radius cutting. We formed a radius with our file, but never cut it yet. This project introduces like 3-4 new concepts that we haven't learned yet and it's due in a month. I'll keep you updated. I'll be starting it next week most likely.

Am following closely as jacks are one of the projects on my to-do list.
The "Generals" I've got don't work as well as I'd like.

Daryl
MN

I'm starting the "SM Jack Screw" today. I got everything turned down to the right diameters and I am going to thread the ends next. BTW we have to make two of these, not sure if I mentioned that. So once I do one thing on one end, I just flip it and do it on the other. Got a lot more done than I thought I would today. Was taking .100 cuts at a 329 RPM and .003 feed rate. I think I will bump it up to a .006 feed rate for my roughing passes because my chips kept tangling up. Anyways, enjoy!

Note: The last few pictures are for Mikey to show him how well I can clean a machine when I'm done with it:). Thanks buddy.

IMG_20170414_132410.jpg

IMG_20170414_145114.jpg

IMG_20170414_151103.jpg

IMG_20170414_151108.jpg

I noticed in the second photo there was a padlock. That's how they keep you there. :D

Because machine tools and the processes interest me, I keep links to a few things that I probably will never have time to get back to or have time for. Your task of cutting the radius/ball challenged me to look for a link.

http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/ball_turner.htm

I'll be wating for the ball and swaging process. Nice work.

Wow, just as clean as Darkzero's machines! Good job, Justin!!!

Oh crap, here we go again. I'm going to delete all those old pics of my clean new machines. Well no I'm not, I like looking at them!

Justin, those Leblond Regals look very similar to the Regals I used at my local CC. But the ones they had were servo shifts. I really liked using them. I miss the collet closers & I wish I had a huge pull out chip pan like them.

We were required to clean up the machines we used after each day. Most kids were lazy except my lil brother. I was just happy to be able to be there to use the machines. I don't miss cleaning up the big Cincinnati horizontal mill when using flood coolant. What a mess!

I thought about going back just for the heck of it but I stopped going when I completed the course & my instructor retired. I never knew our local CC had the machining course. My lil brother needed a technical credit so he took it for 1 semester. I was his ride to get to & from there so I figured I might as well take the class with him. Glad I did, it was a lot of fun. My brother only took 1 semester, I went for 3 or 4 I think, I forget.

Haha thanks. It feels good to arrive at a clean machine, I can't argue that....Lesson learned.
Yeah the leblond is easily my favorite lathe in the shop. It feels solid and cuts very nicely. I wish I had my own, it's a lot of fun.

Just glad to see conventional machining courses still available. None of my high schools had machine shops. Most colleges are offering only CNC now.

Arrive at work fresh & ready to start your shift & the machines are a mess is akin to walking into the bathroom & un-flushed toilet!

Our high schools offered vocational machine shop for junior & senior students. Three area Vo-tech schools offered classes too. None of them offer any type of machining training now. :apologize:

Some footage of me taking .100 cuts at a .003 feed rate. My friend said he ran a .012 feed rate while taking .100 cuts, but I thought that was too quick for that much material...?

Back