Teenut For Dorian Axa To Crafsman 101.07403

mrjbinok

Registered
Registered
I am fairly new to this site, so finding things that have already been posted is a challenge. That being said, I am getting ready to buy a Dorian SDN25AXA tool post that will be fitted on my Craftsman 101.07403 12"x36" lathe.

Do any of you know of any information anywhere around that shows particulars (dimensions) for machining the tee nut for my lathe? I realize that each lathe will have slight variations in fit, but I would like some general idea of where to start.

Here is a link to a Dorian catalog and it shows what the tee nut should look like:

http://www.vdmgroup.ru/images/pdf/dorian/Quick.pdf

I think the answer is on page 6 of the PDF in the link above. Just measure the T-slot per the drawing. I'm assuming you have the lathe to measure :)

If not, maybe one of the other members can help you out.

Page 6 shows what it should look like, but no dimensions. I have measured the lantern style plate and it is 5/16" thick and 1" wide. The part that slips into the slot is just shy of 5/8" in diameter and is part of the lantern itself.... so a little different design that what Dorian uses for theirs..... no problem with that.

I don't see anywhere, the size and thread for the center clamping bolt to thread the new tee nut.... or any info for the possible need to machine the bottom of the holder itself to center the post for my 12" swing. I was hoping that perhaps someone on site might have actually done this for their craftsman and had some tips

When I installed a QCTP on my Craftsman 12x36 lathe, the tool post came with a blank T-nut that was threaded for the mounting stud. I just measured the slot in my compound (I don't remember what the dimensions were) and cut the blank to fill as much of the slot as I could. Unless I am missing something, the tool post should not have to be machined to fit. The tool holders get adjusted for height according to center height once the cutting tool is installed.
When I made my T-nut, I had a hacksaw and files and just laid it out by scribing lines according to my measurements. In other words, it can be done without a mill if needed. The idea was to fill as much of the T-slot as possible to spread out the stress on the cast iron. Has worked so far.
Good luck and welcome to the site!

OK, it looks like on Page 9, bottom, gives the bolt dimensions. Looks like 1/2-20

When I installed a QCTP on my Craftsman 12x36 lathe, the tool post came with a blank T-nut that was threaded for the mounting stud. I just measured the slot in my compound (I don't remember what the dimensions were) and cut the blank to fill as much of the slot as I could. Unless I am missing something, the tool post should not have to be machined to fit. The tool holders get adjusted for height according to center height once the cutting tool is installed.
When I made my T-nut, I had a hacksaw and files and just laid it out by scribing lines according to my measurements. In other words, it can be done without a mill if needed. The idea was to fill as much of the T-slot as possible to spread out the stress on the cast iron. Has worked so far.
Good luck and welcome to the site!

That's what I am seeing too. It doesn't look all that involved, but not wanting to re-invent the wheel, so thought I would see if there where any tips. I can get a pretty good idea of sizing with what I have, and I have access to a mill so it should go pretty quick.

I had bought one of the cheap China knock-off's for my little HF lathe and after I got it installed, found that the tool holder had to be adjusted vertically clear out to one extreme... in fact I had to use without the locking nut on the adjustment screw to get it centered on my work piece. A constant pain in the b*** to keep it tight!

Thanks for the info.

The Dorian AXA tool post may have the same issue as the import one, they are copied pretty closely. You may find that a BXA fits better. Usually the manufacturers list a center height to top of compound dimensional range that will work with the various posts. Do not go by the "fits swings from 9" to 13"" nonsense. All that really matters is the spindle center to top of compound vertical distance. The tool vertical height also enters into the picture in actual use.

Just measure the T-slot and make the T-nut a few thou smaller so it can slide in the slot. Do not leave the center thickness too high or the tool post will bottom out on the T-nut when tightened instead of tightening on the compound top. The T-nut pulls up on tightening to the extent of the clearance between T-nut and slot. Make sure you can see plenty of light between the T-nut and the tool post when the tool post is tightened down.

As for tool post size, my AXA fits very well on my Craftsman 12x36. I think a BXA might take up too much room. There doesn't seem to be enough bearing surface on the compound to take advantage of the extra size, but your mileage may vary.

Sorry, but I forgot to mention, I have not run out of adjustment range anywhere from 1/4" tool buts to 1/2" tool bits either.

+1 on the BXA taking up too much real estate on the craftsman lathe

Back