[Newbie] Techno CNC Lathe & G-code

rlkalish

Registered
Registered
I was fortunate to be given a Techno CNC Lathe that was surplus from a high school. I have both a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck as well as various cutting tools as well as the computer to run it, but the machine has a very limited set of G-code commands.

I haven't found an add-on to convert the CAM to this particular lathe, and was wondering if anyone has any experience converting the internal electronics to a more robust G-code. Maybe something like Mach3? The machine has servo motors for the X & Z axis, so there is potential from my point of view.

Currently, I am learning to G-code it manually, but this is very limiting and I can't get too elaborate manually.....

Suggestions anyone?

Rick

I think the usual approach is to chuck the old electronics package/software and just keep the motors and possibly the drivers.
How about a picture of this beast?
-Mark

I guess I was in a similar spot to yourself - an old CNC mill using an out of date G-Code variant "DX-32". I found one CAM program that will generate G-code for a DX-32 controller, but it does not do it very well. I have struggled through the learning of direct coding - I actually quite like it now. I can't do irregular profiling, engraving or the various options that end up being thousands of lines. However, there is a lot of machining that can be accomplished by combining simple geometric functions. Think about using a manual milling machine, you can do a lot by combining straight lines and curves. Even a very simple CNC mill can add additional features. I think a lathe would be even more so (most lathe work is combining simple shapes). I know of two CNC shops in my area that simply G-code from the terminal.

If the machine is working per the original design, consider using it as it was originally intended. There will be a learning curve but it is likely that the machine is very capable.

I was fortunate to be given a Techno CNC Lathe that was surplus from a high school. I have both a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck as well as various cutting tools as well as the computer to run it, but the machine has a very limited set of G-code commands.

I haven't found an add-on to convert the CAM to this particular lathe, and was wondering if anyone has any experience converting the internal electronics to a more robust G-code. Maybe something like Mach3? The machine has servo motors for the X & Z axis, so there is potential from my point of view.

Currently, I am learning to G-code it manually, but this is very limiting and I can't get too elaborate manually.....

Suggestions anyone?

Rick

I thought those used standard Fanuc G code.

Back