Technical Question on Stirling Engines

Robo_Pi

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,

I would like to learn how to build a decent Stirling engine. This is a long story, so I'll try to make it as short as possible.

Short Question: I'm basically just asking where I can find detailed information on how to design a Stirling engine so I can know ahead of time how much HP or wattage I can expect to get from it. I'd like to be able to design one as efficiently as possible.

Longer Story:

I've been looking on YouTube and there are many videos on how to build a working model Stirling engine from tin cans. Some videos take you through the whole process of building one. However, none of them really get into any serious calculations for trying to figure out the best efficiency or power ratings.

I'm going to start buy building a working tin can model engine, but I would like to eventually build a much larger firewood-powered engine that I can actually use to generate electricity with. That's far off in the future, but for now I would just like to find more technical information on how to best design the engine for the best performance.

I think I'll start by trying to build something like the following model:

I also like this next one because it pumps water and uses a water wheel to lift a pinball up to a track. Pretty cool ideas:

My final ambition/dream is to build a full-size wood-burning Stirling engine similar to the following. This one generates electricity to run a fan motor.

So back to my short question:

Short Question: I'm basically just asking where I can find detailed information on how to design a Stirling engine so I can know ahead of time how much HP or wattage I can expect to get from it. I'd like to be able to design one as efficiently as possible.

Thought I'd post this on this Hobby Machinist forum in the hopes that some of you geniuses out there have already done something similar. I know you guys are awesome cuz I've been reading your posts.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Just for the record I found a couple spreadsheets online for designing a Stirling Engine:

Theory for Stirling Engine

The above website has a spreadsheet that can be downloaded and modified for any size and type of Stirling Engine

Here's another one:

Ideal Stirling Cycle Spreadsheet

I'll probably find some more too. This is basically what I was looking for. Some way to calculate what to expect from a given mechanical configuration.

I thought I'd post these in case someone else is looking for similar info.

Back