(teaser) Homemade Metal Shaper

A

Andre

Forum Guest
Register Today
Just thought I'd post a teaser for you guys. I'm busy of late but it should be finished within a month or two. I'll post a pic or two a week to record progress.

518.jpg 641.jpg

Forgot about this pic; milling the sides of the ram flat and parallel. Because of the wear and sag of my mill table, If I used the end of the endmill with the edge to be milled facing upwards it would be bulged in the middle. It was within .001" all around doing it this way.

And no, I had no part in any of that machine table destruction.
XsRB9kJ.jpg

LOL...that table has seen some better days!

XsRB9kJ.jpg

XsRB9kJ.jpg

XsRB9kJ.jpg

XsRB9kJ.jpg

XsRB9kJ.jpg

and I thought my table was bad, because it has some nicks and a couple of scrapes. are those hammer marks on it also.
By the way the project looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

Andre,
Thanks for posting your build.
I am "watching" this thread.
-brino

Looks like your spindle speed is a tad slow. The Tool marks are heavy. A tad faster will give you a smoother cut.

"Billy G"

The bearings should, IMHO, have already been changed. Don't wait much longer. I would hate to see one lock up on you. They are a real PITA to get out when they lock up. Be careful and listen closely to that spindle. If it starts to squeal it's done for. You are progressing nicely figuring the spindle is shot. Good work so far.

"Billy G"

That's pretty cool, especially with a shaky mill. Takes a little practice and experimentation to find the sweet spots with a worn machine. As far as making that first layout error, it's kind of like having a really nice car. After that first shopping cart ding, it's a lot more fun to drive. Thanks for posting, I'll be following along also. Mike

Looks good. Can't wait to see it in action.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back