Taps and dies

I rebuilt a '65 MGB from stuff I got from a buddy who had several, one skeleton uni-body, an engine that was complete but needed rebuilding, a box with three completely disassembled transmissions in it, etc., etc. He told me he was selling me 4 chrome wire wheels for $100 and letting me take away all the other "scrap." He said if I ever got mad about the deal, just remember that I only got 4 wire wheels for $100, and they were worth more than that. I was between jobs at the time, and spent almost a year restoring that MGB. Total cost of the restore was $1100 in those days, 1977. Painted it GM red. I did not buy one part from the BMC dealer, ever! Drove it for about 20 years, no problems besides regularly rebuilding the Lucas starter and generator, then sold it for 'well' more than I had in it.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread .

Last edited:
I would like to say a big thank you to Bill for his generosity in providing me with the taps and dies that I needed. Thank you Bill.

Chuck

Penetrating oil ,number 1 , buy good taps and dies to match . Wrenches too. Use cutting oil or tapping fluid. If it's rusted spray and go away for a day or two spraying often.
Just an aside; WD-40 is none of the above.

A big undertaking, but it looks like you have it well handled.

I had a Sprite in high school (in 1964 or so). If I ran it too hard it would blow soft plugs out of the engine!!

The midget is a big project. I am doing it in little steps. I started at the rear and am working my way towards the front. Currently doing body work which is not my strong suit. Hope to have the body work done by the end of the month so I can get back to mechanical issues. Next year I will be replacing the engine which is frozen and prohibitively expensive to have rebuilt with an engine and transmission from an early 80's toyota corolla.
Sprites and midgets have a reputation for breaking axles. Especially the pre 67 models. A racer down under discovered that by making the axles more flexible solved the problem. When I get to that I will start a new thread for help with the machining.
Thanks again Bill for your generosity.

The Irwin tap that I bought a few months ago at Ace has USA on it.
Probably a Hanson die.

WOW! I wonder if its new old stock or if Irwin still has some manufacturing in the USA. When I go to swap meets or yard sales I look for older Irwin tools that say USA on them. I have some first generation Chinese Irwin Vise Grips and they have not held up as well as much older ones I have from the USA. When they first went to China you could find Vise Grip brands in Harbor Freight even.

HJE has US made Irwin dies for $2.50 piece up to $14 for 1"er's

Back