[Newbie] Tapping with button dies

To be honest, I don't know what those things are actually called here. Threading dies? Don't know.
Taps and dies are close enough. Geographics, demograghics and etymology stretch the meanings in many different ways. The quality of what you are using, especially taps and dies makes the most difference. When looking at the die referred to as a button die, it does look like a button to some degree. I can imagine if someone had used the many different types of dies available, or had the different dies available in their shop, then sending the apprentice to the tool room for the button die would be correct or at least avoid confusion. Threading larger bolts or round stock you may need to use something like these; https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/pipe-and-bolt-die-heads.

I needed to thread 1 1/4" X 20' HR with 6 inches of thread on one end and 18 inches on the other so I used what most would see as a pipe threader, with a bolt threading attachment. I threaded ove 100 pieces and I still have about 60' of 1 1/4" HR if someone has a project.

One thing I would like to point out, if your die isn't adjustable then using a piece of 10mm round would produce a standard thread, and if you're not meeting strict tolerances you're good. Even if the 10mm round is a little larger the die will remove the excess material, so you just need to work a little harder.

So, by way of an update, and conclusion perhaps, here are some pictures: there's the holder I made for my metric die. I'm pleased with it. The knurling tool that came with my QCTP set is in the bin, so the handles are plain, for now.

The threaded rod worked out very well. It's just a bit of crappy steel that I already chewed on a few times in the past. The first third was turned to 3/8" (which is the closest common Imperial measurements to 10mm). The next third was turned to 9.8mm and the last to 10mm. I honestly can't tell the difference in the finished thread. The 10mm bit was damned hard to cut by hand though. I don't much like the idea of cutting three 600mm lengths of 10mm bar, but the 9.8mm bit was fine.

So, that's that.

1491281625575-1465534076.jpg

1491281652928-1725903207.jpg

Back