tapered bore

Before I start cutting metal let me see if I have this straight.

1: Lock the carriage.

2: Set the degree of taper on the compound.

3: Use the compound/top slide to cut the taper from front to back.

4: Use the cross-slide to increase the depth of cut after each pass of the compound/top slide.

Is that correct so far?

Thanks,

M

Again, for the newcomer, we should probably change "front to back" to "right to left" or "toward the headstock". Pretty easy to think of the part of the bed closest to you as the 'front'.

Spot on Mike.

"Billy G" :thumbsup:

Thanks. The length of the taper is less than 2" so I should be able to keep a consistant motion on the cross/top slide for that length of cut each time.

However, I think I'm gonna go to the 'Dollar Store' tomorrow and see if I can pick up a wax candle that I can do a practice run on.

You can call me chicken, but I'd rather mess up some wax than the slug, (the back end of which is now a perfect fit on the spindle :))).

M

You won't here that word from here. It is much better to be safe than sorry. I like the candle idea. I'm gonna go get some myself. They have lots of different diameters.

"Billy G" :))

the candle is a good idea 7
it will even show signs of the fit i would think
steve

If you want an 8º taper,you'd better set your compound at FOUR DEGREES. And,with any cheap(or even expensive) lathe,I advise setting the compound at 90º(parallel to the bed),and running the carriage back and forth with an indicator against the side of the compound. This will tell you if the witness mark is properly situated. I often have had to file off the factory witness mark on swivel base machinist's vises,and re mark them after checking with an indicator. I even did this with my 6" KURT milling vise. Not cheap!!

Then,you have only the problem of IF the graduations are accurate,and concentric with the center of rotation of the compound. Also,I HATE those FAT,etched markings. They should be very thin for accurate settings,like on real high quality machines.

An accurate way to accurately set an angle is to clamp a long travel indicator to the bed,by which you can accurately tell when you have moved the carriage a given distance,say,2". Then,you also have a second indicator with sufficient travel mounted 90 degrees to the bed,and its plunger bearing on the compound,which is set to the desired angle. Then,you can tell the length of both sides of a 90º triangle formed by the bed and cross movement. You can tell the angle of the hypotenuse with trig.,which the angled side of the compound forms.

By the way,ALL this assumes your modern lathe has a compound that is made rectangular and ground(not belt sanded) parallel to the dovetails it slides on. Asian machines might or might NOT be actually ground accurate to the dovetails. You need to check this out,too. Take the top casting of the compound off the swivel base. Turn the compound over. Put a dowel rod against one end of the FEMALE dovetail. Measure the distance to the outside of the compound. Set the dowel against the other end of the dovetail,and measure that distance. If they are the same,you may accurately use the side of the compound as a datum surface for setting angles as described above. Use an accurate micrometer to do this,preferably one that can measure to .0001". If not accurate,mill the side of the compound that you will be using to set angles with.

You also hope that your inexpensive lathe's headstock is a true 90º to the bed. On larger Asian lathes,like 10" swing and up,the headstock is bolted to a surface ground flat area,not to the V ways,and can be swiveled. Generally,if the lathe will BOTH face its surface plate FLAT,and turn a true cylinder, without it being attached to the tailstock,it is good. Many lathes are set to face things slightly hollow,because it is good for turning flanges. This is normal. I am lucky. I adjusted my 16" Grizzly,and it is dead true. Other lathes I had always faced about 1 1/2 thou. hollow over 10",and that is within gov't. specs.

Didn't your mother ever tell you that making stuff was a pain!!

Last edited:
Bill,re read my edited post above. I am tired and made some corrections and refinements to it.

A very handy program to have for the machinist is Gwizard at Gwizard.com. It has tons of machining info. One very handy is Geometry. You can enter any two values and the program will give you all the rest.

For a 8 degree included angle you enter 4 degrees and your Z length of 1" ( z axis on a lathe is the spindle right to left) It will give you a hypotenuse length of 1.0024" and a Y axis length of .0699"

With a dial indicator set in the tool post, when you move the compound 1.0024" along a good test bar the indicator should read .0699" when you have the compound set exactly at 4 degrees.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here's a drawing of the pocket required for the collet:
ER32.jpg
I must admit I was wondering whether I needed 4 or 8 degrees on the compound, maybe someone can confirm using the drawing.

Also, what would be a sensible diameter for the initial hole before I start the taper, a little under dimension A perhaps?

I'll be using a protractor like this one to set the compound angle, rather than the scale on the compound:

protract.JPG

Can't do much about the accuracy of the lathe as a whole at this point though.
Hopefully the wax test will determine whether it's worth making chips.

I'm not necessarily doubting George, but I would value a second opinion on the angle to set for the taper.

Thanks,

M

ER32.jpg protract.JPG

Back