tapered bore

Hi Bill,
couple of questions -
that tool looks as if it was forged to that taper, correct?
and what is the reason to cut on the back side of the taper?
Looking at it set up I dont see any difference going inwards or using the back side and coming outwards, What am I missing?
My square back protractor arrived today so I can set the compound angle if I have to.
Thanks.

If you look closely at the first picture, please notice that there is verbiage in the background that states "This is not a Bill". Although it is written upside down as in some form of subliminal messaging, perhaps this tomfoolery is designed to detract from the true meaning of this post???

What Gives Bill (if it really is Bill)?

Hi Bill,
couple of questions -
that tool looks as if it was forged to that taper, correct?
and what is the reason to cut on the back side of the taper?
Looking at it set up I dont see any difference going inwards or using the back side and coming outwards, What am I missing?
My square back protractor arrived today so I can set the compound angle if I have to.
Thanks.

Question #1 -- That tool was ground from a 1/2X1/2 HSS Blank. No forging.

Question #2 -- You are not cutting from the inside out. You cut the taper from the back side ( same face other side ), of the hole so that you do not have to move the top slide from the position you cut the male from. Both male and female taper will be exactly the same ie. perfect match.

November X-Ray, remind me not to use invoices again. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G" :))

You typically cut from the front to the back, as that's how the tool is designed. The cutting edge is on the leading edge of the tool, which is where the proper relief are ground. Also when feeding using the crosslide you need to feed at an even and cosistent rate. The depth of cut will vary depending on the feed rate, so if you slow down and speed up the cut won't be even. You might need to loosen up the crosslide jibs to feed evenly, and practice a two-handed technique to keep an even feed.

I'm a tad lost here. Just which slide are you refering to when you say you are cutting with the cross slide? You have two slides on the saddle. The cross slide and the top slide. The saddle moves right to left. The cross slide moves in and out and the top slide is used for taper cuts. Am I wrong here. If you have a taper attachment then the whole carriage (Apron. Saddle and both Slides) is used to cut the taper. See link please.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/index.html

"Billy G" :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
No harm done Eric. If we are going to help the new guy in a discussion like this everyone needs to be on the same page when it comes to nomenclature. I find myself guilty of this also.

'Billy G" :))

Also for the new guy, the top slide is another name for the compound slide or compound rest. Whatever you want to call it, it's the one you can machine angles with. :)

Tom

did you hand forge your boring bar with a rock for a hammer bill?
sorry off topic
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
steve

Cute, I didn't make that one. It was in with a bunch I found at a tag sale. The cutting edge is just fine the rest can be anything. As I stated before it is ground, not forged. Humor accepted.

"Billy G" :))

Back