1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We want to wish everyone a healthy, happy New Year, full of joy and success. God bless you, and thank you for supporting The Hobby-Machinist.

Dismiss Notice

Taper Turning Jig And Cannon Barrel

Discussion in 'A BEGINNER'S FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here!)' started by Garyg, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Garyg

Garyg Canada Iron Registered Member

City:
    Ottawa
    State:
    Ontario
    As I was in the middle of making a taper turning attachment for my 10x20 lathe in order to make a cannon barrel, I realized I could only make a straight taper. Could you make a profile template and attached to the taper jig. How does one make the decorative finials ,rings etc. I was going to make a 8-10 inch barrel for a old style navel gun or civil war type.

2. sanddan

sanddan Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Damascus
    State:
    Oregon
    You might check out this video

from DiResta where he makes a cannon. He actually free hands the curves and tapers, dialing both handles at the same time.

OxToolco also demonstrates a profiling technic on one of the Baby Bullet video's in that series. His method is a little (or a lot) more accurate as he uses a profile template and dial indicator to help in following the profile.

Since it's your cannon you can decide how much accuracy you need and pick your poison.

3. sanddan

sanddan Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Damascus
    State:
    Oregon
    I know I spend way too much time on youtube. :)

4. mikey

mikey Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii
    The easiest way to do the detail work is to use gravers, in my experience.

5. Garyg

Garyg Canada Iron Registered Member

City:
    Ottawa
    State:
    Ontario
    I may try making a Parrott cannon as my first but its hard to find plans that you don't have to pay for.

6. Charles Spencer

Charles Spencer Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Worcester
    State:
    Massachusetts
    I believe that the reinforcing rings on the parrott rifles were put on hot and shrunk in place.