Tap suggestions

sundown57

Registered
Registered
I have a job to tap 100 or so 1/2-13 blind holes into both cold roll and hot roll. ive been getting taps from McMaster but lately, they don't seem to be very good quality and cut hard. Anyone know of a better name brand than what they sell? thanks

Widia/GTD is the best brand I've used- with the golden coating
Zoro tools has a good selection

I get a lot of taps from McMaster and a lot of time they are GTD or widia brand.

so for blind holes are you using spiral flute taps?
if they are hard to cut with, have you tried going up in drill bit one size so from a 27/64 to 7/16, or a 10.8mm?

Guhring, OSG, Nachi are usually considered to be quite good, I assume you are already using a spiral flute tap. Suncoast Tools is a very good source of tooling and at very fair pricing. OSG there are a lot of choices...

so for blind holes are you using spiral flute taps?
if they are hard to cut with, have you tried going up in drill bit one size so from a 27/64 to 7/16, or a 10.8mm?
i am using spiralflute. I have not tried a larger hole.

Is this a job for a customer or for a personal project? If it's a customer job, I would ask some particulars about what the components are being used for. The industry standard for tapping holes is a 75% thread engagement. That is achieved by using a standard drill for the size tap being used and an H3 tap.
The H designation defines the clearance between the crown of the threaded fastener and the root of the tapped hole for imperial threads. The D classification denotes the clearance between the crown of the threaded fastener and the root of the tapped hole for metric threads. For each number above 0 the clearance increases by .0005". An H1 tap would have a clearance of .0005" while an H3 tap would have a clearance of .0015".

Standard H designations go up to 12. Those above 3 or 4 are generally used to allow for proper clearance when parts are anodized or coated with other materials after tapping.

I feel your frustration with those taps! For better quality, consider brands like Irwin, Greenfield, or OSG. They're known for durability and efficiency. Good luck with your project!

Back