tap handle suggestion ???

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I'm looking for a tap hand that has the dimple on the top to use a spring center in the lathe. the one I have has a set screw on top that doesn't accept a spring center very well .tap-handle_1.jpg thanks for any suggestions :)

General Tools, and others....Starrett i think even has one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That is a lot of stuff hanging out there! Chuck, spring center, tap handle and then the tap. Makes for wobbling, misalignment and other bad things. I just stick the tap in the drill chuck. Use finesse on the smaller taps. I never did like the alignment at the clamping point where the tap handle holds the square end of the tap. It’s not the best. That’s one reason I hold the taps in a drill chuck. Another reason is I power the taps in and out using gun taps…Good Luck, Dave.

Last edited:
Put a decent chuck in the tailstock w the tap in it.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

General Tools, I'm very happy with mine. 2 jaws with a V, they hold nice, not like the 4 jaws, which you have to crank on. A dab of locktite is a good idea to prevent it from loosening on it's own.

That is a lot of stuff hanging out there! Chuck, spring center, tap handle and then the tap. Makes for wobbling, misalignment and other bad things. I just stick the tap in the drill chuck. Use finesse on the smaller taps…Dave.

Me too usually. not always.

Get a tap handle with a guide for chucking - McMaster-Carr has 'em:

2550a64p1-a02cs.png

https://www.mcmaster.com/#tap-handles/=17l0rto

I prefer tap handles that have a chuck with separate clamping jaws as opposed to the type where the jaws are part of the Body and spring in. Starrett T handles have a center dimple, I also have some older (made in USA as opposed to India) General ratcheting T handles, both of these work great. But I do not use either for tapping a straight hole using the mill or in my lathe. I have two tap holding heads with flats that fit in various holders. I made one for the mill which uses a 1/2" guide rod, also fits in the lathe with using a chuck or a MT3 guide rod. Nice thing is they are very compact height/length wise. You may want to make your own, I machined mine using some O2 steel rod, it also takes die holders. The holder below is hollow all the way through
20150625_113923.jpg
20150628_193453.jpg20150628_195608.jpg
20150628_195701.jpg

Back