Tap center and wiggler

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
This was an easy project that everyone should have. It is a spring loaded center fot the lathe tail stock. It keeps the tap straight and makes perfectly centered and straight threads. I made this one because I knew I needed it for the steady rest project. You will see it in use in the photo here which is the tapping of the brass fingers for the steady rest. I use this tool a lot. I keeps me from breaking taps also. The center has about 1 1/2" of travel and the wiggler bar is great for setting up in the 4 jaw chuck.

The photos are pretty self explanatory, but if there are any questions just ask. This is a good project for a novice also, only takes a couple hours to make and I use mine all the time.

Mark

Spring loaded tap center and wiggler for 4 jaw chuck.jpg
sring loaded center for tapping.jpg
Tappong center and wiggler.jpg

THERE IS A CHANGE IN THE PRINT. THE COLLAR MACHINED ON THE SHAFT IS 1/2" LONG INSTEAD OF .250 , LEAVING THE STUB THAT ENGAGES THE SPRING .250 INSTEAD OF .500

Spring loaded tap center and wiggler for 4 jaw chuck.jpg sring loaded center for tapping.jpg Tappong center and wiggler.jpg

Nice! I understand the tap guide part, but (I'm a noob so) how does the wiggler work? Does it go on the end of the spring loaded tip to help center parts in a 4-jaw chuck? And if so, is there any chance it will come flying out?

What is the diameter of the wiggler bar? I assume it is the same as the,,,, :whistle: :rofl:

you are correct, it makes it fast and easy to line up a part in the four jaw, even if it is offset. I won't fly out because you don't turn the power on. turn the chuck byhand.

you are correct, it makes it fast and easy to line up a part in the four jaw, even if it is offset. I won't fly out because you don't turn the power on. turn the chuck byhand.

Ah, turn by hand. That makes sense. Very cool.

Back