Tap And Die Organization

omni_dilletante

somewhat active
Registered
I am not sure if I am a hobby machinist, or just like to collect tools.

But once in a while I need to use a tap or die and when I do I cringe at how they are stored.

I have one set in a box that has labels that are impossible to read. Next to that was a jumble of taps I have purchased. Then there was an index I started to populate that will not fit into any drawer and had taps covered in dust and oil.

IMG_1752_zpspz0xc6ev.jpg

I wanted to find a way that kept the taps from grinding into each other. Was easy to add taps to. Kept them clean. Took up minimal space. And made them easy to find.

This is what I came up with.

IMG_1753_zpsmitaqgto.jpg

If the tap came in a container that was clearly marked then I was more than willing to use that container.

For the smaller taps and 1" die I used pill bottles. The taps are kept apart by using soda straws as dividers. I left room in each bottle for the addition of more taps.

MacDonald's straws fit 12 taps into a bottle. (Other fast food places have smaller straws that will fit 18 per bottle, but I did not feel like venturing out for smaller straws.)

IMG_1754_zpsfsrks4et.jpg

Bubble tea straws are about 0.4" in diameter and can be found at the local Asian Grocery. They limit you to 6 taps per bottle. If the tap is to large to fit into a bubble tea straw then it is too long to fit into the pill bottle.

IMG_1755_zpswh19dhxi.jpg

I used Excel to print the labels and the text appears on both sides the bottle with a different orientation. So when you put them into the drawer, if the label is upside down, you just rotate the bottle 180 degrees.

IMG_1756_zpscevil3lu.jpg

The 1" dies fit nicely into these bottles as well.

IMG_1757_zpswzerwq3l.jpg

For the taps that were too long to fit into the pill bottle I had some acrylic tubing I could use.

I did not have tubing large enough for the 5/8" taps and am still working to find a solution. For now I am happy they are not bouncing around in the drawer and I can easily find them.

Now all of the tools fit into about 1/3rd the space and I can actually find stuff. As I was organizing this I found a few more taps and dies and was pleased that there was room in the bottles for them.

I don't know about you, but this certainly makes me feel better.

Nicely done. I like your labels. It makes those bottles look like they came with the taps in them.:encourage:

Darrell

Somebody has too much time on their hands... Come fix up my mess for me.

Super nice job you did there!!!!

Thanks for sharing...

I am about to tackle that job- hmmm... I really like this!
Bernie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some work up front will pay off huge, saving time when you need a particular size.
I like it.

I am facing a similar situation with my assortment of taps and dies, although my collection is not nearly so large. I like your very legible labels - I need to somehow incorporate that in whatever I fabricate. My approach will likely be to make a stack of boards cut to fit into a small box, then use a router to cut pockets for the various pieces. Maybe inch taps on one board, inch dies on another, and likewise for the metric taps and dies.

Back