Tangential Tool Holder

FarFar

Active User
Registered
A progression of tangentialholders that I use for 4 mm carbide and 4.7 mm Stellite and 5 mm WKE45 HSS.The tool bitts are thus very fast to resharp.

Kind regards

Farfar

compare.JPG IMG_0342.JPG IMG_0343.JPG Tangential 008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I hated machining Stellite. Did some parts that a wear band welded up with it. Tough is not a strong enough word.

FarFar

You must have posted those tool holders on the net before. The one in the middle is what I had built last year. So you must be the man who designed these holders. ;) I dont remember seeing the other two in the pic, but I did see the middle tool holder before. I liked it enough that I copyed it. Only thing I changed I think was the size of the tool bit to 1/2 inch.

I liked this TTH because it appeared by looking at it, has a very firm grip on the tool cutter, and Ive never had any problems with cutter slipping down. Most that I had seen were using a bolt with a washer to retain the cutter, and this TTH looked very robust.

If I recall correctly, the original builder was named Niels sp? is that you?

Hello 8ntsane

It was also me that did the middle one but the lower one is far the best.
5 mm square toolsize is roughly seven times less grinding than Your half inch and rigidity is better.
Only problem is that I have not found a cheaper way than wire sparking to make it .Help or ideas wanted
How often do You cut more than 5 mm wide swarf,apart from aluminium,that is?

Kind regards
Niels

IMG_0486.jpg

Last (and only time) I heard the word Stellite was describing the 50 BMG barrel material on an M2A2 :thinking:

Interesting tool holders - way beyond my comprehension at this point. :) Maybe some day........

Hello 8ntsane

It was also me that did the middle one but the lower one is far the best.
5 mm square toolsize is roughly seven times less grinding than Your half inch and rigidity is better.
Only problem is that I have not found a cheaper way than wire sparking to make it .Help or ideas wanted
How often do You cut more than 5 mm wide swarf,apart from aluminium,that is?

Kind regards
Niels

Niels
So it was your design I copyed ;)
Well I do want to say, thank you. Out of the TTH I looked at, that one of your design was the one. You have not stopped improving your design, thats a good thing. I had asked you in another thread about your other TTH, but you pics show the changes clearly, Thanks!

Hello Brassmagnet

Stellite is very wear resistant and used where this matters like gun barrels, exhaust valve rims,glass bottle guiding on brewery washing lines etc.
It can also be used for cutting stainless steel and other nasty things on less than rigid and powerfull lathes.It keeps cutting edge even better than Fagersta WKE45 HSS and is not difficult to grind in 5 mm size.Another name is Tantung .I have 4 pieces 65 mm long and 4.7 square and expect to need no more.

Hello Paul

Glad You like the scheme and if You improve it please let me know.

Regards

Niels

A progression of tangentialholders that I use for 4 mm carbide and 4.7 mm Stellite and 5 mm WKE45 HSS.The tool bitts are thus very fast to resharp.

Kind regards

Farfar

Thanks for posting the pics Niel. You wouldn't happen to be able to share some CAD files of those would you? Please? :drool:

I have a question on the third (bottom) design, it looks very slick but do you have clearance issues the way the "clamping arm" sticks out past the cutting tool.

Thanks,

-Ron

Hello Ron

It is better to make your own cad files to suit Your lathe.Important measure is from top of compound slide to centerline.The clearance You mention between the pull in thing faces and cutting edges is the only critical dimension(see picture ) I mill them in situ in lathe and make them 0.2 mm relative to cutting edges seen directly from above.Make them greater and pull thing hole may get out of shape;make them smaller and the faces will rub when tool tip is worn.(Or heaven forbid,breaks of)

Regards

Niels

5 12 pulltop.jpg 5 12 pullbund.jpg

Last edited:
Back