Talk about a total fail...

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
I made an ER collet chuck for my lathe a while back, finally put it to an actual use today.
Apparently when I bored it out and turned it to size, I left nothing but a HAIR of metal left. I chucked up a piece of 3/4" bar, just TOUCHED the tool to the metal and *boink* just fell off... Can't win lately.

IMG_20171028_122244.jpg
IMG_20171028_122237.jpg

ARRR missed it by and 1/8 right!
Since you would need to remove the chuck to use that ER anyway, it is about the same trouble to just chuck what you have left there in the 4 jaw when you want to use the ER.

Or bore the base piece and press the ER end into it and weld it up.

Yeah but then it would be a nightmare to get it's run out back to nothing.
I'll just make another one. Now that I have the big mill, I'll make a lathe chuck and a hex collet block for the mill... The project list piles up lol. So many things, so little time.

Well, I could salvage this maybe. There's enough threads on the collet side that if I welded the pieces together, I could just return the taper and threads. Hmm. That'll be a lot easier and faster since I sorta need this now. Haha

Hey brother a failure is only that if we don't learn from them. I can't tell you how many failures I've had over the years (enough), but I can say most successes are indirectly related to past failures. Press on and re-do.

Yeah, for sure gonna make another one. Probably tomorrow morning.
I tried welding it together, I got the taper resquared, but there wasn't enough meat left to redo the threads cause I cut clearance behind the thread. Yaaarbage.

On the bright side, in a way you sucessfuly parted on the lathe. :cower: Really though I'm sure you learned a thing or two also.

Back