Taking the CNC Plunge

Don't feel bad, you never let any magic smoke out did you? when the smoke escapes that's when you feel bad:chemist:
I hope to get back to my project this week, yours looks to be moving right along nicely Tom.
Bill

Thanks for the encouragement and no magic smoke escaped. Thank God! My conversion is moving along but at a slow pace. These gremlins keep popping up but the instructions that came with the electronics/software are lacking in details. I've been using the trial and error method but that doesn't always work. If it wasn't for the support I've received from forum members I wouldn't be this far along.

Tom S

Got the limit switch pin setting figured out. Pin 12 is the Input #3 on the BoB. I actuated each limit switch and got a limit switch activated message in the Status dialogue box. Pressed the Reset button and the message cleared. So this appears to be working.

Next issue is the E-stop. I set the pin number to each of the available input pins. #12 pin seemed to be the logical choice as it is tied to the limit switches. However, when I push the reset button I get the dreaded UC100 communication error. I've read through the Mach 3 installation manual, the UC100 manual and the literature for my BoB and can't figure out what the correct settings should be. Do I check E-stop Active Low, do I need to select Auto Limit Overide, do I need to select Overide Limits, do I need to select Active Low on the limit switches? Maybe I'm completely off base here but I'm real close to making this thing run and getting anxious.

Thanks,

Tom S

I'm not familiar with your BOB. Do you have a link to a manual for your BOB? Does the BOB have dedicated terminals for an e-stop? What type of switch are you using for the e-stop?

I'm not familiar with your BOB. Do you have a link to a manual for your BOB? Does the BOB have dedicated terminals for an e-stop? What type of switch are you using for the e-stop?

Here's the manual I found on-line for my BoB. I'm using the switch that came with my mill and I haven't changed any of the e-stop wiring.

As a side note I've done some more reading on the internet about UC100 issues. From what I read interference is a big issue on low voltage systems and may be the cause of the UC100 losing connection. One of the sources of interference may be the flouresent lights in my shop. I'll test the system with the lights off and see what effect that has. I'm going to set debounce interval to 2000 and work down from there. If I can get the number low enough I may be OK. Another suggestion is to get a double shielded UC100/USB cable. May do this anyway just to reduce/eliminate interference problems.

Tom S

Attachments

• BreakOut_V5.pdf
    964.9 KB · Views: 115
Okay your BOB does not have a dedicated e-stop. Are your limit switches in series or parallel? What pin #(s) are you using for the limit switches?

My BOB is different and has a dedicated e-stop terminal so I am pulling this from memory when I was first setting up my mill with a different BOB. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am giving you bad info.

If you have the LS's in series then put the e-stop switch in that chain, wire the e-stop switch to the NC terminals and set the active low to the same as the LS's. I believe Mach3 uses pin #10 as the default e-stop pin so I would use that.

If in parallel put the e-stop on pin 10 and X,Y & Z would then be on pins 11, 12 & 13

Leaving the shop lights off and setting the debounce to 2000 didn't have any effect. What I did do was unbolt and set the BoB as far away from the Z axis power supply/driver (about 8") as I could. I started Mach 3 with no 220v power to the power supplies. I was able to reset the e-stop without getting a UC100 error. As soon as I plugged in 220v power and the PS started up I got the error message. This points to electrical interference. Question is how far away from the power supplies does the BoB need to be? Will double shielded USB cables be sufficient?

Tom S

Okay your BOB does not have a dedicated e-stop. Are your limit switches in series or parallel? What pin #(s) are you using for the limit switches?

My BOB is different and has a dedicated e-stop terminal so I am pulling this from memory when I was first setting up my mill with a different BOB. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am giving you bad info.

If you have the LS's in series then put the e-stop switch in that chain, wire the e-stop switch to the NC terminals and set the active low to the same as the LS's. I believe Mach3 uses pin #10 as the default e-stop pin so I would use that.

If in parallel put the e-stop on pin 10 and X,Y & Z would then be on pins 11, 12 & 13

My limit switches are wired in series and are connected to Pin #12 (input #3 on the BoB) and have the e-stop set to Pin #12. I'll look at my e-stop switch but isn't it already wired as NC? In any case I'm assuming when you say "wire the e-stop switch to the NC terminals" you mean the NC terminals on the e-stop. Is this correct?

The more I thought about it (see post below) I don't think electrical interference is the culprit. I'm saying this so anyone reading this thread will be clear on what we are doing and why we are doing it. I'm learning and I want others to learn from what we are doing.

Tom S

My limit switches are wired in series and are connected to Pin #12 (input #3 on the BoB) and have the e-stop set to Pin #12. I'll look at my e-stop switch but isn't it already wired as NC? In any case I'm assuming when you say "wire the e-stop switch to the NC terminals" you mean the NC terminals on the e-stop. Is this correct?

Tom S

If you are using the e-stop switch that came with the machine and it is the same as mine then it is only NC.

Here is a typical e-stop with both configurations.

e-stop001.gif e-stop003.gif e-stop004.gif

Check this link for limit/home e-stop wiring and mach3 config. Starts about half way down the page.

Check this link for limit/home e-stop wiring and mach3 config. Starts about half way down the page.

Thanks for the link. Seems simple enough to wire the switch into the limit switch circuit. Need to figure out how to wire it so the spindle also shuts down.

Thanks for the help.

Tom S

Are you planning on turning the spindle on and off with mach3?

You can do that with one of the contactors and a SSR. An e-stop or limit trip would stop the spindle.

Back