Taking Edgmont 6SF Clutch Apart?

TORQUIN

Registered
Registered
My Monarch 12CK has a rattle inside the clutch someplace and I am trying to pull it apart to find the rattle and fix it.
I have gotten the floating plate off, but cannot get the "driving plate", AKA clutch plate, to come out. This is the plate that actually has the frictions on it. From all I can see, the plate is free-floating inside the clutch disk sheave, AKA 3 belt pulley, and is driven by two keys on the outer edge. I can see that the driving plate has worn into the keys over time, in the forward direction, and have rotated the driving plate backwards so that the wear knotches won't keep it from coming out. There is nowhere to pry on it really, except the small gaps by the keys, and no puller holes where I could put a bolt in to pull by.
I have repeatedly tried to pull the hub and back plate out, which would pull the clutch plate out with it, if the clutch plate would come out.
I do not want to get crazy with my methods because Edgemont clutch parts are probably pretty hard to come by.
Looking for ideas.
Pics attached. See diagram to match parts names to my text. Number 3 is what won't come out, but moves about 1/16" inside number 13. Number 4 wants to come out, but is held in by number 3.

Edgmont6SFClutch.jpg

2017-03-16 17.15.50ss.jpg

2017-03-16 17.25.38ss.jpg

2017-03-18 17.01.44ss.jpg

2017-03-18 17.01.57ss.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

is the plate you are pulling on steel? If so you might male a puller using a bunch of rare earth magnets. With a dozen magnets and a steel plate that makes good contact. you could probably get at least 3oo# or more of holding power without altering anything. Are those 3 holes used for anything? could you thread them?

The plate is cast iron. I have finally gotten it apart. I drilled the clutch plate for two 5/16"-18 holes, screwed in some bolts and began to pull, gently, with a slide hammer hooked on the bolts. With a friend in catching position, I ended up pulling the entire pulley and clutch assembly off, since the clutch plate would not pull out. As we were pulling it we managed to get the plate cocked out far enough to see ball bearings in the side of the clutch plate. This was a clue. Once we had it on the bench I made a puller to use the bolt holes I had drilled and pulled the plate out.
Found ball bearings and springs pointing outward all around the circumference of the clutch plate, like detents. There are dimples for the bearings inside the pulley where the plate rides. I do not know if they are supposed to be there or were worn in over the 70 years this lathe has been around. Also found galling and pits like you would see in a galled bearing situation. My best guess is that the bearings were half in the plate and half in the pulley, keeping the plate from coming out.
Ran out of time last night but will take some pics today as I clean it up. Now I have to search for clutch friction material so I can replace that while I'm in there.

Chris

Back