Take the drill out of the tailstock when you're done drilling

well, got several cuts on my right hand now

from handling metal, put a piece in mill vice, bam, cut top of hand

mill wasn't even on yet!!

Charl

I was taught gloves are a BAD idea. You feel less, so your reflexes are slower - and they aren't where your brain thinks your hand actually is. They can get caught and pull you in.

"I don't care where a cutting tool is hanging out of which machine, some part of my body will find it." That's ME, TOO.

I learned the hard way (and re-learn every so often) I remove tools from the tailstock as soon as I'm done with them.

When it is cold in the shop I will occasionly wear gloves due to the cold metal but really worry about moving parts & tools. Back-handed a 1/8 drill bit in the tailstock 2 days ago.

When it is cold in the shop I will occasionly wear gloves due to the cold metal but really worry about moving parts & tools. Back-handed a 1/8 drill bit in the tailstock 2 days ago.

Ouch, I'm sure we've all done this at sometime. When I worked as a marine engineer we mostly wore gloves because of the heat. most metal surface sin the engine room were 55 to 60 c and parts of the engine could be 80 to 90c. way too hot to touch..

It's not just the tools.. As a fabricator one of the first things I do is
to grind all sharp spots off everything if it's mine or not...

If David had a glove on, more than likely it would have gotten much worse as the glove kept rotating with the end mill. He at least still has his finger. Keep the finger above heart level to help alleviate some of the throbbing David, heal well sir.

Still a valid subject to comment on, guys, but check the date. ;)

Tom

HAHA, one of my old ones came back up too, but safety cannot be repeated enough IMHO.....

Reactions: Z2V
Back