Tailstock Taper Size on SM Model 815?

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
A friend of mine has a South Bend Model 815, but he does not have a dead or live center for it. He has a manual for his machine, but the manual does not specify the taper on the tailstock. Does anybody know what type or center he should buy for his tailstock?

I am going over to his house on Sunday, and I am bringing some MT2 & MT3 centers with me, but I would like to know the exact specification so that he can buy the correct live center.

I don’t know how much turning between centers he plans on doing, but while we’re at it, what is the taper of the spindle nose?

Never heard of a Model 815 (but that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't exist). Generally, if the lathe is 10" or under, the tailstock taper is MT#2. 13" and higher, it is MT#3.

An "8" as the start of a model usually indicates a Toolroom lathe, such as an 8187. The model number also has letters as a prefix, such as "CL187" or "CL8187". Have your friend double check the model number. It should be on the gearbox plate.

All this applies to post-WW2 era lathes. Earlier than this is a whole other mess.

There is a logan model 815, most things in these sizes seem to be mt2. The specs for a logan 815 says the spindle taper is "Morse Taper with adapter No3-No2". That probably means it is morse taper 3 but it might be the same taper per foot and around the size of a no 3, but it could have a different diameter if a standard no 3 sticks too far in or out.

Back