Tailstock Handwheel Repair

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've been working on my Colchester lathe for a while now, and I need to re-do a repair from a previous owner. I assume the tailstock took a tumble to break the handwheel this badly. It was brazed (?), and in addition to looking terrible, the welds cracked. I'm not much of a welder, but I've done some and figured it's time to broaden my horizons. I figure to grind off the old and weld or braze it back together, but I need advice. For welding, I have mig, tig, stick, and OA setups. I'd have to brush up on tig, but my thought was to tig braze it with aluminum bronze. What say you? This is what I'm challenged with.

IMG_4962.jpgIMG_4961.jpg

If you want to repair it it has to be brazed , because of the braze that is on it already. If nickel is used over the braze it will not stick and just pop and sputter. I would use an oxygen acetylene torch. Preheat the whole part then braze it. Bury it in wood ashes to let it cool slowly. Because of the design of the spokes the part is prone to crack right where it is brazed if allowed to cool too fast. Even with mild steel if it has been brazed it cannot be welded unless all the old braze is removed.

If it runs true, I would grind off the excess material, maybe do a little more brazing where needed and finish up with
a coat of paint. If you do braze on it, I would do a preheat and also a cool down in ashes when done. It looks
functional so likely more of a cosmetic thing which I can understand. I must admit that there is something special
about a repaired hand wheel that runs true making it pleasant to use.

Finding a splined hand wheel like that likely would be very difficult and expensive too.
If it were my lathe, I might consider buying a new handwheel, boring it out and after cutting and preparing the splined section from the old wheel, press it into the new one.

Finding a splined hand wheel like that likely would be very difficult and expensive too.
Cast iron is free machining, and internal splines can be accomplished easily using the lathe as shaper. I have pre-drilled the splines before to rough them out, removing the majority of the stock, prior to boring the minor diameter. Other than the OP not being much of a welder, find a local welding shop to do a proper repair, (usually not too expensive).

I scoured the internet looking for one before posting. Nothing was available as a direct replacement. If I have to modify a new one anyway, I might as well attempt to fix this one first. The handwheel does not run true, and it feels like only one brazed spoke is holding. It's only a matter of time until it comes apart. Cosmetics aren't important, but if I have to fix it, I will make it look as good as I can.

My welding supply store is family-run, and the owner is a fabricator, though I don't know his capabilities with CI. I'll show it to him and see what he says. I don't mind paying for the repair to ensure it's done right.

I appreciate your input and I like @jbaccell recommendation if the damage is beyond a proper fix.

Back