Tail stock travel indicator

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I don't remember where I saw a picture of this idea ( it was somewhere on the internet. For all I know , it could have been on here :dunno:) but it looked like a good one to solve my problems with drilling a precision depth easily on the lathe, So I fabricated this up from memory. It works really well. No print .... a picture is worth a thousand words.

Tail stock travel indicator 5.jpgThis is the complete assembly

tail stock indicator 6.jpgtail stock indicator 5.jpg These two photos show cutting the curve to fit the tail stock and cutting to size.

tail stock indicator 4.jpgTail stock indicator bracket 3.jpgtail stock indicator.jpg This is the finished block.
Tail stock travel indicator2.jpg Mounted on the lathe with an indicator. I tapped the oil hole on top of the tail stock to 10-24 since it was the right size. I intend to drill a hole through the screw so I can still oil the tail stock screw.
Tail stock travel indicator 3.jpg I made this piece for the front from 1/4" aluminum plate.

Tail stock travel indicator.jpg I got the indicator tip from one of those $3 indicator point kits and used the longest one. I turned the groove in the end to go in the slot in the aluminum plate that clamps to the tail stock spindle. The tail stock pulls the indicator and shows exactly how far it has moved. The spring tension in the indicator pulls the indicator back automatically and keeps it tight against the plate thus reading accurately in both directions.

Mark Frazier

Tail stock travel indicator 5.jpg tail stock indicator 6.jpg tail stock indicator 5.jpg tail stock indicator 4.jpg Tail stock indicator bracket 3.jpg tail stock indicator.jpg Tail stock travel indicator2.jpg Tail stock travel indicator 3.jpg Tail stock travel indicator.jpg

I and few of my friends have attached the Igage Digital readouts to our tailstock spindles much along the same lines. Make up a clamping bracket to fit the spindle and mount the rest to the tailstock. Makes it easier when we have to step drill precisely in 2 or more sizes of holes.

very nice! I've never seen a horizontal used like that, which was cool too. I did something similar with some magnets, scrap and a digital tire depth gauge. It's not as pretty nor likely as accurate, but it does come in very handy every so often.

I and few of my friends have attached the Igage Digital readouts to our tail stock spindles much along the same lines. Make up a clamping bracket to fit the spindle and mount the rest to the tail stock. Makes it easier when we have to step drill precisely in 2 or more sizes of holes.

I had thought about using a digital caliper to make this as I have seen others do that. The reason I chose not to is because I put a digital caliper on my drill press and while it works , sometimes vibration drives it nuts and it doesn't read correctly. I didn't want to run into that here so I chose an indicator. Maybe it was the cheap caliper, but I couldn't bring myself to cut up a good one. The one thing I am going to do is swap the 1" dial indicator for a 2" as there is almost 2" of travel in the tail stock. There are no modifications to the indicator so it is easy.

Mark

Note: This setup forced me to fix a problem on the lathe. There was some "play" in the key that keeps the tail stock spindle from turning and it was too much for the arm the indicator rides in. I did the repair and now there is very little movement. I am going to post the repair method in the South Bend forum in case someone else is contemplating the same repair.

Really nice. You can easily see the large dial. I have this on my list of projects.

Thanks for the idea.

Very nice feature, it will cost me another dial indicator! No worry there are plenty of them.:))

i'd like to see a couple photos of this. my tail spindle unwinds into the tail stock. . seems to need that travel to release whats in it. .
maybe I'm not correct. but still would like to see a couple photos. . .

I and few of my friends have attached the Igage Digital readouts to our tailstock spindles much along the same lines. Make up a clamping bracket to fit the spindle and mount the rest to the tailstock. Makes it easier when we have to step drill precisely in 2 or more sizes of holes.

Back