Taig Carriage Wheel Handle

K\Harnish

Registered
Registered
The brass press-on handle on my Taig Carriage Wheel has worked itself loose (see how I blame the machine for breaking itself!)

I see my options as
1) replace - not very "machinist" approach;
2) Loc-Tite - see above;
3) Drill and tap for a brass bolt to hold a spinning handle. (I am thinking bolt through a brass spinner, then lock nut, then into a tapped wheel.)

(What is the difference between a bolt and a machine screw?)

Does anyone have any recommendations for size, etc. (bolt diameter and length, handle length/diameter) or another option I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

What material is your wheel?

i have steel hand cranks with pressed in handles I have fixed 2 by drilling through the handle, counterbore for a hex screw/bolt ressesed into the handle and tapping the crank or wheel. I do not bother with a bottom tap because my wheels are thick and it allows me to jam the threads, but you could bottom tap to get enough threads.

Then I cut the bolt so I can tighten it to the bottom and have enough play so the handle will spin on the bolt while turning the wheel. You could drill through the wheel, tap and cut the bolt to lenght then locktite it also.

You could knerl the post and press it back in.
.41 is enough to tap it and use a bolt/ screw through the handle.

Post a picture of the parts.

Wheel is 0.41 inch aluminum, handle is brass with a 1/8" post.

Here is my follow-up / solution:

I tapped the hand wheel 8-32, and installed my home made shoulder bolt (which is really a shoulder machine screw) through a brass handle. Handle is considerably larger and free spinning.

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG IMG_1562.JPG

Yup, that turned out really well. You'll get many years service from it, no problem. Thank you for posting.

Back