t nut for my compound

The extra one I have is way off, sorry, but I see ED is taking care of you.
Paul

The extra one I have is way off, sorry, but I see ED is taking care of you.
Paul
understand but i was hopeing seems sheldon had a odd size thats why i did it with a grinder but i'm scared i could break my compound so i want to get the right one made, thank you so much anyway for trying

The extra one I have is way off, sorry, but I see ED is taking care of you.<br>
Paul
understand but i was hopeing seems sheldon had a odd size thats why i did it with a grinder but i'm scared i could break my compound so i want to get the right one made, thank you so much anyway for trying

Irishwoodsman,

T nuts can be made in the lathe. Just a case of hacksawing off the side bits and a quick file to make it look nice.
:drink:
DaveH
let me ask you this, does a t-nut have to be rectangled or could it be made with round stock, turn your bottom slide then your center slide, this just came to me about 15mins ago, or is their not enough holding force by makeing it round

You could do it that way, but there would be minimal contact on the bottom flange. I wouldn't do it that way. You could do as Dave suggested and finish the lower portion into a rectangle with a hacksaw, bandsaw, even a torch and grinder. The boss that comes up into the upper slot does not have to be rectangular. Round would be fine for that, since all you need there is thread engagement.

You could do it that way, but there would be minimal contact on the bottom flange. I wouldn't do it that way. You could do as Dave suggested and finish the lower portion into a rectangle with a hacksaw, bandsaw, even a torch and grinder. The boss that comes up into the upper slot does not have to be rectangular. Round would be fine for that, since all you need there is thread engagement.
understand was just wondering, ed is going to make me one but will do some practicing as i get better on some of this ty for the info

I think it would best best to use 5/8-18 UNF threads for the tool post stud. Nearly all the QCTP setups I've seen use the fine thread choice. I'm not certain why, but my Dorian CA toolpost has a 7/8-14 UNF, not the 7/8-9 UNC.

Just a thought. As I said, I'm not sure why but that does seem to be the norm.
my tool post is a after market axa it works great for a ebay bargan , my lathe came with the latern tool post and after i got familiar with it i came across the axa on ebay and it came with extra tool holders and 3 different boring bar holders which the smallest i use to put a dial indicator in to use it gives me more room to indicate on some things,:)

irishwoodsman,

Ken makes a good point. I suggest you check the thread on the tool post stud to determine if it is 5/8-11 or 5/8-18.

I haven't had a chance to start on your T-nut yet but should be able to get started on it today. I have to tram the mill after I had an "oops" drilling with it on Friday. Let's just say things got a little hairy until I could push the "Off" button. :yikes:

Ed
thinking i better drill hole and tap myself while its in front of me cause now i'm not for sure on thread size, the shaft is a 1/2 and i counted 18 threads per inch, i thought i had a die but dont have one that big , better figure on getting a thread gauge for my tool box :biggrin:

its metric my son's gage says 1.5
if this isn't enough info i will hit the hardware store tomorrow and get size that you need, just let me know, i have a big wall chart my son is supose to be makeing me a frame and going to install plexi glass over it well thats been 2 months now and he has my chart at his work, i guess dads are at the bottom of the list lol:(

Back