Synthetic Grease Suggestions

rrjohnso2000

Registered
Registered
I have some idler pulleys that need some new grease for a drill press. After have been in the coolents and lubricants business for some time, synthetics are the way to go for something I likely won't need to touch again.

I have no actual synthetic grease experience. I'm looking for any recommendations. Amsoil seems to have a good reputation. I'm thinking a general purpose #2 would be good for most things that grease. Any input is appreciated.

I've used a synthetic grease from Amsoil with moly in it for years. Decent stuff. but mostly for firearms. For machine tools and machining I use multiple types of Lubriplate products. I use several types of their spindle oils, two types of grease, way oil, and a hydraulic oil from them. Very good performance over the years. Go to www.lubriplate.com. Call their technical support folks for suggestions. 800-347-5343 or 800-733-4755. Smart folks and they deal with this kind of stuff all the time. I've called them for recommendations for multiple applications. Everything they've suggested has worked very well.

I have been using Amsoil in everything I own for over 25 years. Their greases are incredible and they have the most diverse options for specific applications that the average public will encounter. The Synthetic Multi-Purpose NLGI#2 is an excellent choice for your bearing application in the drill press.
I used to own an Esso, then Exxon station and changed the oil, lubed the chassis and drive train in my '76 Chevy van every 2,000 miles. Every time I lubed the u-joints with Exxon's grease, water was pushed out first, then this discolored muck that you wouldn't want in any bearing, then normal looking grease. Same for the ball joints and tie rod ends. When I switched over to Amsoil, I expected similar results. To my surprise, when I pumped in new grease, the "old" grease being pushed out had NO water contamination and the grease looked as if it had just been pumped it in - nice and red with no change in color or consistency. The grease did not break down and it prevented moisture from entering the bearings. I actually used less grease. Granted, a u-joint is outdoors and can encounter very harsh conditions but, my point is that if it works this good in bad conditions, it will do even better in the shop environment. My Atlas drill press, B&D valve grinder, front wheel bearings. alternator bearings, Triumph Speed Triple wheel bearings, etc. are assembled with their NLGI #2. Even my Hoover Vacuum's beater bar bearings are lubed with it.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/grease/

Last edited:
I agree Amsoil makes some good stuff. Some of it might translate to some machine tool applications. It is worth a try to talk to their technical support ( 1-715-399-8324) but they mainly offer advice on automotive oil. Their focus is mainly automobile applications. You know the old adage, "When you only have a hammer..." Lubriplate makes fluids for a wide variety of industries not just automotive.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is much appreciated.

Grease certainly does not open the same can of worms as an oil discussion

Back