swiss cheese bridgeport table

In my entire career as a machine tool rebuilder (45+ years) I have never seen one that bad. How does the rest of the machine look? If it is as bad, make the machine a drill press. If a table like that came in to the shop and the rest of the machine was good I would look around for a used table in better shape and if the owner OK'ed it I would send it out to be planed or milled before grinding. Most Tables are bent high in the middle on average .007" I would bet that table is at least .010"

I would run a tee slot cutter down the slots and then have it surface ground to help relieve the stress before tutting or grinding the top or bottom . I'm not big fan of Blanchard grinding tables, but it would look 1000% better then "that" In the past I milled and put in cast iron inserts in the T-Slots made from Dura-Bar. I would suspect the table is bent too. With ll the work needed on the table I would estimate the repair would be over $1200.00. I have used Devcon in small area's. I would recommend using the aluminum as it matches a ground look better then the steel mix.

PS: I have never had much luck welding tables as I have tried several times myself and sent to pros's. Where the weld and cast table mix it gets supper hard and it's pain in the T-Slots. If you do weld it heat the table with a big rose bud first to sweat out the oil soaked cast.

Back