swiss cheese bridgeport table

goldenchips2

Registered
Registered
Anyone out there with the picture of the bridgeport table with so many holes drilled in it, it looked like swiss cheese?
I lost my copy of that picture to show my students...
Thanks in advance

Awesome !!
But that table is still better than the table I saw a while back..
Still looking for the one that looks like swiss cheese....The hunt continues....
There needs to be a thread on machine abuse.
A friend of mine has a melted jacobs chuck I will post pics when I get them.

Yikes, pheeewwww :thinking::thinking::thinking:
how would you align that mill
steve

Indicator bouncing all over the place !!!!
Just use a steel rule or something flat to bridge the potholes !!!

Not to sound like a smartass, but how does one do that to a machine? I mean, if things are set up correctly, there is no reason at all to get into the table. I've been a Tool & Die Maker for 30+ years and on a lot of the tooling that I had to repair or rebuild that came out of the drill press department, there had to be thousands of holes all around the drill bushings. I always wondered how a person, sitting at a drill press and had a fixture could miss the bushings that many times to the point the fixture had to be rebuilt. It totally baffles me.

Not to sound like a smartass, but how does one do that to a machine? I mean, if things are set up correctly, there is no reason at all to get into the table. I've been a Tool & Die Maker for 30+ years and on a lot of the tooling that I had to repair or rebuild that came out of the drill press department, there had to be thousands of holes all around the drill bushings. I always wondered how a person, sitting at a drill press and had a fixture could miss the bushings that many times to the point the fixture had to be rebuilt. It totally baffles me.

My guess is that it's the work of students. :banghead:

M

Yes, traming that mill in could be a challange. I guess I would use a new disk brake hub. Remove the vice and clean the table as well as you can, then lay the disk down and use the DI as you normally would. As long as the table is flat you should be OK. Once the table is tramed you get replace the vice and tram that in.

I would hope that most mill owners have tables in beeter shape. I have masonite covers on mine they also help keep the crap out.

Have you ever thought about fixing the table up some? If you take the table off, you could get quite a few of those divots welded in, or even brazed in, then get it blanchard ground. I think if it were mine, I'd even go as far as putting some Devcon in the holes to fill them in then file or stone down the top. It looks to me like that mill was used more as a drill press over it's years than it was used as a mill.

Back