Swarf Chips They Are Everywhere

I hope this is the right place to ask . Yesterday my loving wife was putting a shirt on and it was tangled. While helping there was a cork screw piece of swarf tangled in the fabric. I was already on probation for mixing oily clothes with the "good" laundry.
Changing shoes this morning in our two car garage in noticed a trail of chips from the back door. My shop is two hundred feet from our two car garage. I need to get a handle on this before she has me stripping nude in the shop.
What is your process to deal with the chips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Those are razor sharp too. Better to get extra clothes hamper or ben. Mom had two of us to wash for. Might consider a strong bar magnet for the tub of your washer if you turn a lot of steel. Good luck

I agree with Stuart. Shop apron or coveralls. As mentioned here and elsewhere, have a separate pair of shoes for the shop.

Once I did the apron and shoes, swarf in the house dropped to almost nothing.

I don't cut iron as much as I used to do, but when I do, I make sure the shop floor is swept before I retire for the day. Including removing shavings from my shoes before I enter the house. I also make sure the path to the her washing machine is clean, too! As long as I do these things, the hen house is usually quite.:eek:

I do the same thing as Ken does and with my ocd sweeping the floor over and over is sort of therapeutic wearing a shop apron and blowing my clothes and shoes,it keeps it down to a bare minimum.

Thanks for the replies tomorrow I will get a shop apron from work . I was always nervous around spinning machines wearing one.
Separate shoes for inside the shop is my next plan .
If you see a cot in the background of my pictures it didn't work.

Thanks for the replies tomorrow I will get a shop apron from work . I was always nervous around spinning machines wearing one.
Separate shoes for inside the shop is my next plan .
If you see a cot in the background of my pictures it didn't work.

I think you'll find that one of the reasons so many wear shop aprons is so that the apron gets caught and not clothes that are tightly attached.

Being hot here all year round shorts and a "T" shirt is de rigeur.
They dont hold much. Crocs on the feet left at the shop door.
I still get the word but not very often.

Lab coats are great. Shop only shoes are great. For me these only cover light duty projects.

For the big ones that make a big mess I just swap my cloths. Leave the dirty ones in the work area and put something else on in the next room/just in the door.

The biggest issue then is remembering to run a brush through the hair to pull out the stray chips.

There is a reason most shop environments have locker rooms. Good luck!

I currently use separate shoes and wear coveralls. In fact I am now asking for a new pair or coveralls for xmas every year. Washing the old oily ones (absolutely in a separate load) just means that I need to spend time washing out the ring left around the inside of the washing machine!!! No matter how often I put a rag in my back pocket, I guess I somehow end up wiping stuff on them. I now wear them until I cannot stand them and then get rid of them. I typically just trash them, but I've often wondered just how flammable they'd be once I'm done with them. :cautious:

The worst thing is the wires that break off wire wheels.
Yup, I have a beard and more than I'd like to admit I need help finding that one stray "steel whisker" lodge in my face....somehow it's never one of the white ones. Remember when Homer Simpson was inside Bart's robot and asked Marg to "do his back" with the magnet....I'm almost there!

Some more input here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/you-mightbe-a-machinist-if.20004/

-brino

I personally would not wear lab coats in the shop. Now if all you had was a small lathe they may be ok. In my shop, there is too much stuff to get a lab coat hung up on and hurt without a machine running! I do have aprons that I wear occasionally, but again, too much crap to get caught on and hurt.
I learn at a early age how to work without getting dirty and filthy. Well, most of the time. I can still hear my dad criticizing me on how dirty I would get. And "don't touch nothing!" going into the house to wash up. Sometimes, you have no choice, you get dirty. I don't use wire wheels in my shop anymore after the times seeing other people getting steel wires shoved into their eyeballs and having them pulled out, and these people were wearing face shields, too. Get off my rant now.

Back