Swarf Chips They Are Everywhere

ebgb68

Active User
Registered
I hope this is the right place to ask . Yesterday my loving wife was putting a shirt on and it was tangled. While helping there was a cork screw piece of swarf tangled in the fabric. I was already on probation for mixing oily clothes with the "good" laundry.
Changing shoes this morning in our two car garage in noticed a trail of chips from the back door. My shop is two hundred feet from our two car garage. I need to get a handle on this before she has me stripping nude in the shop.
What is your process to deal with the chips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My first suggestion would be to suggest she assist in the stripping nude in the shop :)

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!)

1: wear shop shoes in the shop and house shoes in the house
2: buy yourself a lab coat to wear in the shop.

Yes, I deal with the same issues and have had to adopt the above to maintain a pleasant home life. I'm on my second wife and let's just say that lightnin' ain't gonna strike this goofy old man a third time!

Last edited:
My "shop" "workspace" is off the 'family room' in the lower level of our single story house. In the last year I've spread sparkly aluminum chips all over the house, (all carpeted) The vacuum only gets some of them. My wife has learned that remonstrations only just work, so has stopped. I try, I run the vacuum. We've adjusted.

I have the same problem, and my shop is about 100 feet from the house. I try to brush off/blow off but nothing seems to really work. I've just learned to live with it.

My "shop" "workspace" is off the 'family room' in the lower level of our single story house. In the last year I've spread sparkly aluminum chips all over the house, (all carpeted) The vacuum only gets some of them. My wife has learned that remonstrations only just work, so has stopped. I try, I run the vacuum. We've adjusted.

You are a lucky man with a very accommodating wife. Consider yourself blessed!

I have no wife, so no problem! I still try to keep the swarf in the shop and out of the house as best as I can. It is not good when it gets in my socks and underwear...

The worst thing is the wires that break off wire wheels. Sometimes they will penetrate vertically right through a shoe sole and cut the heck out of my foot before it gets annoying enough to deal with it.

All of us have that problem to one degree or another. My shoes for the shop have a smooth sole, only a modest pick up of chips. I do the vacuuming upstairs from the shop. My choice, it beats the alternative. If you are looking for a way to stop the problem ----- nope, won't happen.

"Billy G"

Tell the wife she married a machinist. Get over it.:laughing: Leave your shop shoes out side. Don't where shirts with pockets. Blow as much as you can off at the shop door. Get a good pair of tweezers. :dunno:

Tom
Do our wives know each other? Exactly the same story here. I've got a Tuesday AM reminder alarm on my iPhone just in case I forget.

I often don one of my old retired lab coats from my past life. It covers me pretty much from shoulder to ankle. The pockets are very easy to empty the swarf out of and the material is sort of close weave material that seems to repel swarf.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Back