Suywp P3b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Mike,
its been a long process but it's getting there.

Here is a roll cage I have been working on for a friend's Miata "soon to be" race car. It is all fit, tacked and partially welded. The design is a combination of class rules, owner preference and the ability to fit under a factory hard top. The tube is 1.5" x .120 wall A513 DOM.
picture.php?albumid=3868&pictureid=50816.jpg
picture.php?albumid=3868&pictureid=50818.jpg
picture.php?albumid=3868&pictureid=50819.jpg
picture.php?albumid=3868&pictureid=50820.jpg
picture.php?albumid=3868&pictureid=50821.jpg
picture.php?albumid=3868&pictureid=50815.jpg

I welded up a few race cars for my father before. Fish mouth, fit, grind, repeat!

Sent from somewhere in East Texas JP

Beefing up a client's front dana 44 axle from his 2009 Jeep Wrangler.

Here you can see the holes drilled and I am ready to install the sleeve into the short side axle tube.
2qtwah4.jpg

Sleeve viewed from the knuckle end.
9kxi14.jpg

Long side axle tube with the sleeve installed. You can see the sleeve inside the drilled .5" holes ready for welding.
9k2tck.jpg

In progress welding pics.
15zi5vo.jpg

2ldbz28.jpg

Rosette weld, sometimes called a plug weld.
jt2xpl.jpg

Some various welds from the project.
2znv69k.jpg

21ne741.jpg

dg43zl.jpg

Axle welding completed.
2mqj95v.jpg

11v4f2f.jpg

Next up will be cleaning the axle housing for paint and then on to installing the new 5.38 gearset before re-installing it back into the front of the Jeep.

Mike.

Mike please tell me those are TIG welds, if you say those clean spatter free welds are MIG I'm going to feel like a total failure at MIG welding.

Mike please tell me those are TIG welds, if you say those clean spatter free welds are MIG I'm going to feel like a total failure at MIG welding.

No TIG welds, those are merely MIG using C-25 gas.

Don't feel like a failure @ MIG, it just takes lots of practice. Trust me, I am no where near where I want to be yet either. I think I need much more practice.

Mike.

Does brazing count?

View media item 94781

It's the next size up bicycle for my quickly growing daughter. An elegant join for a more civilized age (to paraphrase Obi-Wan.)

-Ryan

Last August I decided to build a welding table that would out live me. I started with $900 dollars worth of steel. :eek:
DSCF0946_zps4ec19597.jpg
Built the frame and legs using 2x2x1/4 thick stock.
DSCF0961_zpsf2b4cb7b.jpg
I put it on wheels so I can move it around. I also added a tool box underneath. The top is 1/2" thick.
DSCF0967_zps14c2ffe3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back