Surface Rust

Sparkey

Registered
Registered
I am seeing surface rust on parts of my lathe. What do you put on your lathe to protect it.
Thanks

The obvious would be oil of some type. I have used plain old motor oil at times, Way oil works too. I have even used Rust-Check, which is used on cars etc. My lathe is in an unheated shed and rust protection is an issue.

Boeshield T9, Birchwood Casey Barricade, or Starrett M1 would all be good choices to keep away surface rust.
Bobby

My tools are in an unheated garage and rust is a constant problem. I confess to being pretty low tech- I use an oily rag. The table saw and drill press tables get a coat of Bostik Top-Cote which is a wax like substance. The biggest problem is when we get a rapid warm-up with the machines still cold from the night. One or two times I've gone out there and found water just dripping off the mill table.

I used to shoot air guns and one of the best anti-rust oils I ever found was Beeman's MP-5 Metalophilic oil. It seems to be out of stock in the couple places I looked.

Conrad

My workshop is underground with stone walls . after using a machine a waft of WD 40 keeps them clean ,oiled , and bright .
no problems after 3 years.
Regards BRIAN.

I am under the house next door.we live on a mountain. in sicily.
on the photo its up into the house or out into the donkey yard.

P1010900.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
WD-40, frequently applied, is way better than nothing, but I don't find it nearly as good as LPS.

CH

Thanks Turbo we had a real hoot at that one.
The donkeys have all gone amd the manger is full of rubish.
, the lady of the house fills the area with flowers well it better than patty??

yes for long term I think good quality grease takes a lot of beating. and its not hard to remove.

P1010036.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I use WD-40 because it evaporates over time, doesn't seem to leave as much of an oily residue to attract dust.

Back