Surface plate support quick question

LMAO I had to go back to see if I was offended. That's great.
Paul

Wreck's comment cracked me up because I caught the reference, but he was replying to ezduzit not Tony.

Anyway now that I've explained someone else's joke and confused everyone by getting the quoting and attribution wrong, nice job on the plate stand!

I really need to get a decent plate and I'll definitely be building something similar.

Wreck's comment cracked me up because I caught the reference, but he was replying to ezduzit not Tony.

Anyway now that I've explained someone else's joke and confused everyone by getting the quoting and attribution wrong, nice job on the plate stand!

I really need to get a decent plate and I'll definitely be building something similar.

I was going to put up the cut list and supplies list here later this week. Will make it super simple for anyone wanting to do the same thing.

Paul

Paul,

It would be much easier if you made the stands for us.:D:)

Ken

I use a 96" X 48" X 24" granite surface plate at work. have no idea how it is supported, it seems to work well.

I think your work might be a little more serious than my wildest ideas are. That rocks gotta be 10,000 pounds...

Paul

Paul,

It would be much easier if you made the stands for us.:D:)

Ken

The 2nd one would probably be faster to make and prettier. But I have to get my mill head mounted...and move on to documenting the table rebuild...and handle the lathe remounting on legs and get a new pan made. Oh and help my wife for the next 6 months while she recovers. :) Oh and handle the kids...oh yeah and run my business. If I keep listing these things I might have to do some of them! :) :D

Paul

That rock which 'Wreck Wreck' uses, at 170lbs/ft3 is a 'mere' 5,440 lbs. I once had offered a 'free' surface plate from Kentucky - but I had to pay shipping to Alberta, and it weighed 8,000 lbs! (for some reason I passed it up)

Looked at the tag today, 6400+ Lbs.

We rarely have parts that large but it certainly is handy when we do the occasional wiper knife for a plastic sheet manufacturer, they want them straight.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned this earlier, but you might have been better off using "elevator bolts" both for the feet and the mounting points instead of plain hex cap screws.

Oh, and by the way, I am half blood Hungarian and there is at least one Hungarian member here. Please be mindful of the different cultures and try not to post anything offensive.

Back